Tuesday, November 24, 2009

Holiday Traditions

It is eight days until they light the Rockefeller Center Christmas Tree. It’s really a sight. Last year, on our way to see a Broadway show, Ralph and I walked several blocks to see the tree. Most years, we miss it.

It was freezing cold but we were bundled up and moving quickly. This was more than I could say for most of the people surrounding the tree. Had no one ever heard that it is cold in NYC in December?

Anyway, I thought at the time that we could make it a tradition, every year we could go and see the Christmas tree. But, I think, with the birth of the new baby, we will not be going back into the city to see it. Maybe next year.

A few weeks ago, my son said to me ‘Mama, the next holiday is Thanksgiving.” He ‘s four and we’d just concluded Halloween. I told him that was correct. He then continued to say “For Thanksgiving, we go to Uma’s house.” Uma, for the record, is my mother.

Four years and he already knows all of our holiday traditions.

What are your holiday traditions? Have you ever tried to adopt a new one?

5 comments:

Sandra Sookoo said...

Actually, yes. I put apples and cranberries in the stuffing last year and everyone had a cow. I said "if you want stuffing, you'll eat this." LOL

Really, we have no Thanksgiving traditions except the turkey. Next year, hubby and I plan to be on vacation during T-day.

Woohoo!

Annie Nicholas said...

Every year I buy a Christmas tree decoration that represents something important that happened in the past year. I've been doing that for ten years so we have a box that has ten special ones and my children know what they mean. Like this year I bought a Walt Disney one since we went on a trip there recently.

J Hali Steele said...

I don't have a tradition for the 2, 3 or 4 upcoming holidays. Mine start with Memorial day and end on Labor Day - it's warm! I'd love to start one - go away where it's warm, and there's sun and sand!

kanishk said...

I plan to be on vacation during T-day.



Lingerie Access

Rae Lori said...

I don't celebrate holidays myself. I do grab all the foods that come into season. Including the candy! I'm such a pumpkin addict so I grab everything pumpkin that's available now. Especially the pie. My fave season is summer but I like the winter because I get a chance to light some candles. :-D

Hope you have fun, Rebecca and stay warm!