Sunday, July 11, 2010

Where do I belong...

Happy Sunday Everyone!! So, this is what got me thinking this week...

I’ve always considered myself a paranormal romance author, but when the edits for “The Willow” came up and I re-read the story, I started to re-think that theory . My writing definitely also falls in the category of urban fantasy.

Here is a quote by Keri Arthur (one of my favs) to define the two genres...

“Paranormal romance is a romance first and foremost. In urban fantasy the romance is generally a secondary plot (if it exists at all)”

So, my little problem is what happens when you fall in the middle of both genres? My work is action packed, fantasy driven but the romance stands equally as strong in the novels.

I’m left to wonder if this will become a barrier for me to get traditionally published? I’m thinking, hell yes. The problem being, if I label the story paranormal romance, the focus will need to be on the romance. If I call it urban fantasy, the romance will have to be on the sidelines―that is something I just can't have.

Where does this leave me? I haven’t a darn clue! Will I change my writing to suit a specific genre? Nope!! I love having it all―the mystery, the danger, the fight scenes. But I also love the romance, tension and hot sex too. So for me―I'm sticking to my love of both genres and just appreciating the fact that epublishers are open to the "nontraditional".

Tell me then, what’s your take, do you think to be successful you need to follow “the rules” or do you think you should stick to your heart, your style and do it your way???

7 comments:

Sara Brookes said...

Then there's the little genre known as "urban fantasy romance". ;^) So described as "saving the world and finding love while doing it".

J Hali Steele said...

Follow your heart...stick with both of your "loves"--and I like Sara's comment!! :)

Anonymous said...

I think categories are one of our biggest problems. Because we like to label everything.

Sandra Sookoo said...

Don't worry about it and write.

Annie Nicholas said...

To quoted Jack Sparrow, "The pirate code is more like a guideline." Ditto with the writer's code.

Anonymous said...

I know exactly how you feel. In searching lit agents to send query letters to, what I've thought was a paranormal romance for me I'm wondering if it's a paranormal mystery. I'm not sure if I can call it an urban fantasy - although a lot of it does take place in an urban setting. I'm so new to the writing world on the business end. I've just spent the past two years writing b/c it's made me happy - now that I've finished I feel lost!

Brandy B aka Brandlwyne said...

I think you should just stick to what feels right and comes fromt he heart if it fits both genre's then post it in both.