Wednesday, November 17, 2010

Push yourself

I know it’s not a big surprise that the Biggest Loser inspired my blog post today.

Just like weight loss, writing is intricately connected to the emotional health of the writer. You can’t move forward unless you deal with the stuff you’ve been carting around with you for awhile. I think it’s interesting that the episode of the Biggest Loser dealt with this week the same as I did.

Fascinating, really.

But that’s not the point of this post today. In last night’s episode the two trainers really pushed the contestants to go beyond their comfort zones. Not only that, but the folks working out pushed each other to do the best job they could.

That’s something I miss in the writing community. The accountability to someone who makes sure you haven’t fallen off the edge of the world and you’re still working. Sometimes, the job of being a writer is way too scattered and isolated. Also, more often than not, the community is only interested in tearing each other down instead of building them up. Sometimes it’s a problem.

And sometimes, when there are people in our lives that do offer insight and tell where we need to improve and actually care about what we’re doing, we don’t always listen. That’s too bad because sometimes these lessons don’t come around again.

Moral of the story? Embrace the chance to change when it’s offered. Hold onto it with both hands and accept that someone is pushing you to do better and be the best you can be. These people in your life are not trying to hurt or demean you. They’re trying to make you better and push you into the next level.

So, that’s my thought for the day. I’m always looking for the next rung on the ladder and welcome any help or encouragement I can get.

Pay it forward, folks. Have a great day!

2 comments:

nerinedorman said...

This is why I keep saying to newer authors (and even ones who've got a title or three under their belts): Get thee a good selection of crit partners, who're on a similar wave length.

Even better, make friends with someone who's a little further up the line.

Then when you do get advice, think about it. You don't have to do what they say but it can definitely help if you consider which of their suggestions will help you become a better writer.

When I think of the state of my initial manuscripts, I often cringe because I know my crit partners have helped me in the long run.

Sandra Sookoo said...

Exactly. Trouble is, right now newbie authors (or even authors with experience) just don't think they need to take the advice. I'm lucky that I have a couple of people who are honest. And I have a mentor that constantly pushes me to hit the next bar :-) But first you must be willing to learn :-)