Sunday, March 6, 2011



Initiation
Author: Rebecca Royce
Genre: YA Paranormal Romance
Publisher: Decadent Publishing
eBook: $4.99
Buy Link - http://www.decadentpublishing.com/product_info.php?cPath=1_79&products_id=213&osCsid=e5tvcghl1cbs5rb8sv7vv9ovt3
Rating:

The concept for this novel is utterly fantastic! I’ve never read a book like it, and I found myself completely drawn into the story. Rachel is a kick-ass heroine who I cheered on the entire way throughout the book. She’s emotional and very real, which made me connect to her instantly. The story started a little slow for me in the beginning, and I did have trouble connecting with the relationship of Rachel and Jason at first. Mainly because it all happened so quick. But the second I hit the halfway mark in this book, I couldn’t put it down. Rebecca Royce has created an exciting world and I’m eager to read what will come next for Rachel Clancy.
One little note, this book is a YA novel, but I’m not totally convinced it falls into this category. Yes, Rachel is sixteen years old, but she lives in a world that has made her very mature. And there are a few references to sex that I’m not quite sure are appropriate for younger readers. With only having just met Jason and already discussing sex it’s not a message that is right for the younger crowd. But for readers sixteen and up, this book is perfect and I was captivated by it. Highly recommend it!!
THE BLURB:

My name is Rachel Clancy. Thirty years before I was born, the world ended. Today is my sixteenth birthday. Today I will go Upwards to fight the monsters and, statistically speaking, I won’t be coming back—at least not still living.

Initiation is the story of sixteen year old Rachel Clancy, born with a specific set of genes that let her fight monsters, she has trained her entire life to kill Vampires and Werewolves. Knowing since birth what her destiny would be has not made the onslaught of emotions she faces as she journey Upwards any easier. It doesn’t help that her father is drunk and her best friend just doesn’t get ‘it.’

Rachel isn’t prepared for the level of deception she faces, and before long she will find herself on a quest she is in no way prepared to handle. What happens next will alter not only Rachel’s life but the lives of everyone she knows. She will learn beyond a shadow of a doubt that sometimes the monsters we know are worse than the ones we don’t and that love can surprise us when it comes from somewhere we never anticipated it.

If she lives, she will be a Warrior. If she doesn’t, no one will ever remember her name.

Happy Reading!!

2 comments:

Rebecca Royce said...

Thank you for the review Stacey!!

D L Jackson said...

I just bought this. I can't wait to read it.