Friday, August 26, 2011

It's Friday

Are you prepared?

After the earthquake we just had, and hurricane Irene traveling toward much of the east coast this weekend, I’m posting something a little different. Just a few things you may not have thought of for storm preparedness.

Most important – Have some cash handy (always a good thing) and CHARGE YOUR CELL PHONE – it may be your lifeline to the outside world. If you’re lucky enough to have a generator, don’t forget to gas it up!! If you’re afraid of flooding in your home, make some calls now and find the emergency shelters in your area. Don’t wait until Saturday or Sunday.


Things to keep handy: a change of clothes to fit the weather, batteries, flash lights and candles, bottled water, non-perishable foods, your prescription medicines, over-the-counter medications, baby wipes (awesome if you need to freshen up).

If you have small children, have plenty of pencils, paper and/or coloring books to occupy them. Hey, Abe Lincoln studied by the light of a fireplace! They can color by candlelight if need be.

Unplug electrical appliances to avoid a surge in case of lightning.

If you’re right in Irene’s path and decided to “weather the storm” at home and things get really bad, go to the basement. Stay as close to the ground as possible: if you live in a high rise, find a safer location to wait out the storm.

Stay away from large bodies of water. DO NOT go to the shore this weekend... really, don’t!

Last, but not least, have lots of good books on hand!

Everyone, be safe and take care!

Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-© J. Hali Steele

5 comments:

Kathleen said...

Great post!! Thanks and stay safe!

J Hali Steele said...

Thanks, Kathleen. I realized I wasn't prepared. Dug out my candles, found my flashlight but the batteries were dead. Now I'm as ready as I can be and hoping the best for everyone!!

Sadie Hart said...

Great post! I hope everyone in stays safe this weekend!

Annie Nicholas said...

So, how did you survive?

I experienced the earthquake. That's was...interesting.

I spent the storm at my mothers, who's always more prepared than I am. LOL

J Hali Steele said...

Thanks Sadie! Lots of people within miles from me without power after the storm. I'm lucky enough to be closely surrounded (feet from my front and back door) with big hills that always protect from storms! Annie, did she have lots of fun things to do? :) My mom was like that.