Tuesday, August 23, 2011

Say Hello to Gem Sivad!


I walked out of Cowboys & Aliens mumbling to my husband, “Geez, I wish I’d written that.” Did I think the story was believable? Hey, every time I pick up a book or walk into a theater, I suspend my disbelief—so yeah, I bought into the whole enchilada. The cowboys were hot (Daniel Craig scintillatingly delicious, Harrison Ford weathered and still worth a second look), the scenery breathtaking, and the action non-stop. What’s not to like?
I don’t know if shifters qualify as aliens, lol. But even before I saw the movie, I was hooked on the idea of merging the Old West with paranormal. Emerging from a frenzy of note-making and an exploratory #sixsunday preview, I ended up writing my first shifter story that starts in a wolf hunt—only in my version, the wolves don’t die. J
Mini Excerpt:
Like a field commander at war, Old Lobo stood above, directing the attack from a rock shelf. Jake drew a bead on the animal and muttered, “Die you sonovabitch.”
Squinting upward, he pulled the trigger watching in satisfaction as his bullet found its mark. But instead of dropping where he stood, the big wolf staggered to the rocky edge, teetering there for a moment before tipping forward to plummet toward the ground.
As if saying goodbye, the wind cradled the body for a heartbeat. Then with a despairing moan it blew through the camp, scattering shards of smoldering embers, scorching Jake with avenging sparks, and tossing the wolf at him as he stumbled backward.
The attacking wolves dropped to their bellies. Their mournful howls were accompanied by the wind’s unholy promise of vengeance. Pinned beneath Old Lobo’s crushing weight Jake looked into the eyes of a demon and knew he was about to die.
Leave a comment & go in a drawing to win any book written by a Paranormal Romantics author. Thanks to everyone for stopping by and also to this wonderful group of authors for inviting me.
Find Gem Sivad @ Web Twitter Face Book Blog

19 comments:

The Viking Princess said...

I didnt see the movie but now you've made me want to see it. I usually read historical romance but I'm always open to new things.

Gem Sivad said...

Walked out of the film totally inspired and ready to bring shifters to the Old West. :D

Rebecca Royce said...

I am so excited for your shifters and so glad you came by today!

Gem Sivad said...

Put up a banner on my website for a paranormal page-"Strange Bedfellows". I'm posting snippets & covers from each of the stories as I get them.

Anonymous said...

This story is amazing. I was wondering how the fight was going from SSS. I don't think Jake's going to get out of this one! It's not fair when the wind takes sides.

Gem Sivad said...

Hi, Dianne. I've had great fun mingling the Old West with mysticism. Yep, in this "place of souls" that Old Lobo has led them too, nature is not on Jake's side. :D

Annie Nicholas said...

I loved the movie and the old west. Nothing sexier than a dusty cowboy.

Unknown said...

I completely agree with your assessment on Cowboys & Aliens!! Can't wait for your shifter story!

Gem Sivad said...

How about a dusty cowboy who grows fur sometimes? :D
Seriously, I love the whole paranormal landscape--aliens or shifters, it's an awesome world to play in.

Unknown said...

It's a great concept, Gem!!

Sarah Grimm said...

Holy smokes, Batman! I have to read this one, Gem!

Cowboys and Aliens is on my list to see!

Gem Sivad said...

Loved the movie and it definitely "shifted" my usual world a tad. :)

Danielle Monsch said...

You're going to expand into paranormals? Woo-Hoo! I can't wait to see this!
*more stalking time planned ahead*
:)

Gem Sivad said...

Hope you like the paranormal spin I give my westerns. I'm having fun with Jake and Old Lobo.

Sadie Hart said...

I love your take on a paranormal Old West! Can't wait to read this book. -happy dance-

Gem Sivad said...

Thanks Sadie. It's an exciting world I've entered. Hope you enjoy the final story as much as I've enjoyed writing it.

Gem Sivad said...

Okay,I just did the magic draw thing from the hat, and Sadie Hart's name jumped right into my hand.

Congrats, Sadie. Now the tough part--choosing a book from one of these great authors to read. :)

Thanks everyone for stopping by!

gem

Sadie Hart said...

Oh, wow! Thank you!

Anonymous said...

That is a beautiful and almost poetic excerpt. Not the image, the language. lol I am really impressed.

Also, I am freakin' DYING to see C&A. I have seen every Harrison movie since Han Solo made me sigh. He's a curmudgeon in real life, but it works on screen!

Fabulous.