Sunday, October 26, 2014

Interview: Author Pippa Jay and HALLOW'S EVE

I'm happy to host Author Pippa Jay as our guest today, talking about her very timely new release HALLOW'S EVE. Isn't this a gorgeous cover???

Here's a bit about Pippa:
After spending twelve years working as an Analytical Chemist in a Metals and Minerals laboratory, Pippa Jay is now a stay-at-home mum who writes scifi and the supernatural. Somewhere along the way a touch of romance crept into her work and refused to leave. In between torturing her plethora of characters, she spends the odd free moment playing guitar very badly, punishing herself with freestyle street dance, and studying the Dark Side of the Force. Although happily settled in the historical town of Colchester in the UK with her husband of 21 years and three little monsters, she continues to roam the rest of the Universe in her head.

Veronica:What prompted you to start writing? 
PJ: I've always written, but I remember as a kid having a burning need to be able to write out my rather long and complicated name by myself. So I badgered my dad into writing it out for me so I could copy and practice until I mastered it. I guess I was hooked on the actual satisfaction of shaping letters and spelling things out.

Veronica: Which character was the most challenging to write and why? 
PJ: From Hallow's Eve, it was Angelica. I didn't want to make her a stereotypical old hag, but convey the idea enough so there was no doubt what she was. I had a very clear image of her in my mind.

Veronica: Which word or phrase do you most overuse in a manuscript? (I confess to “that” being my worst word LOL).
PJ: 'that' is definitely one. 'But' and 'and' are also up there.

Quickfire Questions:
Must watch TV Show: Doctor Who
Music on repeat: Linkin Park
Favorite Movie: Warm Bodies
Cats or Dogs? Cats
Favorite Flower: Stargazer Lily
Tea or coffee: Coffee
Sweet or spicy: sweet
Favorite Perfume: Lust (jasmine and honey by Lush)
Book or books I reread most often (up to 3, any genre): Uhura's Song by Janet Kagan (Star Trek), The Crystal Singer by Anne McCaffrey and The Fifth Elephant by Terry Pratchett

Veronica: How do you celebrate when you finish writing a book?
PJ: I update my word count meter and spreadsheets for tracking my WIPs, and bask in the numbers. :P

Veronica: Very practical! What are you working on next? 
PJ: I've just contracted the first story of a YA dystopian romance trilogy--Zombie Girl: Dead Awakened--so I need to finish 2 and start 3. I'm also planning to do a sequel to my November release--a superhero romance called When Dark Falls--as my main project for NaNoWriMo.

Here's a bit more about the book itself:
Hallow’s Eve - when love comes home.
Blurb:
Twelve months ago, Hal’s world crashed and burned, taking the love of his life with it. He’s waited all year for that one special night when the souls of the departed come home, hoping his candle will summon back one in particular to heal his broken heart. But the forbidden knowledge he’s learned could call something far worse, and put more than his own soul at risk...
An Excerpt:
The thud and chink of beer bottles and glasses on the bar announced Dan’s return.
“So?”
Hal shook his head. “Not tonight.”
“Oh, c’mon, man. Just one beer.”
Hal dropped his gaze to the glass he was still drying with a vehemence it didn’t deserve, avoiding his friend’s pleading stare. “Thanks, but I’m not in the mood.”
Dan made an exasperated sound. “Look, I know it’s nearly a year—”
Pain lanced into his chest. “Stop.” He looked up.
A frown creasing his tanned face, Dan glared back, but he shut up.
Hal sucked in a breath. He didn’t want to fight with Dan over this. The guy had stopped Hal’s life completely falling apart after last Halloween. “I know what you’re trying to do,” he murmured, and relief flickered in Dan’s brown eyes. “But I’m not ready to let it go.”
“I’m not saying you should, man. But how about getting back into some social interaction? You can’t spend the rest of your life as a recluse.”
“I won’t.” Hal smiled. Dan had no idea.
“Then come out for a beer.”
“Another time.”
“Tomorrow then. I know you’ve got the Halloween shift off.”
Hal put down the glass he’d abused. “I’m busy.”
“Oh, yeah? Doing what? Trick or treating?” Dan scoffed. “What is it with you and Halloween? You never struck me as religious enough to find it offensive, but you don’t go out and have any fun either. So how come you always take the night off?”
Hal looked around the bar at all the tawdry holiday decorations, and debated how to answer. Maybe Dan thought he was a closet Christian or something. The truth would shock the hell out of him. Especially with what Hal had planned this year. “My...family don’t see it as something to joke about.”
“Oh. Strict Catholic or something?”
“Something like that.” Hal smiled at the thought of his parents taking Holy Communion. But let Dan interpret it any way he liked.


Where can your Readers find you online?
Website    Blog   Twitter   Facebook    Wattpad  
Pinterest    Amazon    Goodreads 

Buy Links for book:
B&N