Monday, December 26, 2016

Get Back to Work

Christmas is over and the holiday craziness has settled down. Family dinners are done, Christmas parties are done, and the hectic last minute shopping and gift exchanges are done. It’s time to take a breath. Clear your mind and shake loose all the demands of the holiday season. I know that the last thing you want to do is think about your writing, but like any job it’s time to get back to work.

Even if you don’t get back to your computer, use the time between now and New Years to let your imagination build. Think of those new ideas and possible plot twists you never thought of to take hold and solidify, then sit at your lap top and start writing. Write anything. I find writing a stream of consciousness gets me started. It doesn’t have to be good, just run your fingers across the keys until something starts to form in your mind.

You’re going to have to fight your desire to procrastinate, but don’t give in to it. Make yourself a sandwich with the leftover ham and sit down at your computer. Don’t be discouraged if your work isn’t what it usually is. Like your body, your mind needs exercise. You start small and with each word and each key stroke your imagination gets stronger.

Now it’s time to build your momentum. Keep going and soon a flash flood of ideas and imagination will break through and flow over the desert of dry rocks and sand. Trust me it will happen, but you have to get to the computer first. You can do it. I have faith in you.

My blog may be short but you have work to do.


Have a great New Year.

4 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Great advice, Victoria. Like many, I just enjoyed the weekend and holiday festivities. I stayed away from the computer, except for email from family and close friends. Being untethered felt great. Today, I'm ready to plunge back into work, a day later than you advise. That stream of consciousness writing really does work. It may be crap, but crap can be edited. Blank pages cannot. Best wishes to you.

Maureen said...

Thanks for the incentive- I feel as if I've lost all my structure over the last month. I'm more than ready to get back to my writing- I miss it when I don't. Great post - Hope you had a wonderful holiday!

CJ Burright said...

The week before Christmas through New Year's...nothing writing-related ever gets done. But you can bet your britches I'll be back in the saddle New Year's Day! Thanks for the kick in the butt post to get my thoughts in that direction. :)

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Good advice, Vicki! Recharge time, for sure!