Monday, February 13, 2017

Guest Muriel Garnet


I've run businesses and traveled extensive, but what I love the most is writing.  Taking all my years of experience and from my many friends and fellow workers, I can add a lot of details to make a story better by drawing on my personal knowledge or asking those friends for information.
I now live in Florida and have the time to spend hours on my computers, letting my muse cut loose and fill the pages.  With over forty-five books published and four of them as independents that I put out there by myself, I never tire of filling the pages with my tales.
I write Mystery, Romance and my favorite Scifi, all with a touch of love and Happy Ever After, but around a full story.

I am often asked where do I get my ideas.  I once wrote a mystery story about detectives and one greedy killer and a beautiful Wiccan that had a fat black cat, all because my fat black cat decided she wanted a special treat.  My cat thinks she is royalty.
When I am writing, I try to get in at least 1000 words a day, but when things are moving smoothly, it will be more.  I have to admit I am not one of those organized authors that build an outline and find a title and get the names.  I am the kind of writer that just creates.  If you look at my website you will see that I also paint and for me, writing a story is like painting.  It starts with the blank canvas, and I pretty much know what I want to end up with, so I just need to add the words to get there.  I have a strong idea about my characters and I often have to flesh them out as I tell the story.  For me the story is as important as the characters, it must be interesting and move the reader to want to know what will happen next. 
I open a narrow page next to my story page called NOTES and as I am writing the story I put down the names of each character and a description as I have created them on the page of the story.  I add additional notes that I will need to build the story or will need to refer to later in my story to make sure I keep my details correct.
As for being correct, I don't hesitate to research and use whatever is available.  Maps from today and maps from ancient centuries are now available.  I have the minds of many friends and family to draw from and don't hesitate.  A family member of the armed forces can give details on weapons.  A friend who was in China will know what mountains produce the best tea.  Someone from Argentina knows if the herders wear spurs.  In Florida, I have seen the flights take off at night and in early morning, sigh, and it makes me think of a future far away.  I think I write to escape in fantasy in a way that no one can point a finger at me and say “Stop acting like a child.”  Whee writing is fun.  It became more fun when people began to read my books and I got fan mail. OMG.


My present series is a compilation of Science Fiction, Fantasy with Shifters, Marines and love with trouble.  Our lives are difficult so why should it get easier two thousand years in the future.  I do put some erotic touches in some of my love scenes, but in my last book, HUNTING IN THE GULL WING SHIP that I released on Amazon, I find one review funny.
I got 4 and ½ stars because the reviewer said they loved my story and followed all my books, but was disappointed that in this story there was not an X rated love scene.  Hmm.  I guess I missed out on that detail but did have a HEA ending.

At least I only missed out on that ½ star. 


4 comments:

Diane Burton said...

Welcome to Paranormal Romantics. How wonderful you traveled so much. That must give you so many venues for your stories. I saw your book in the JABBIC (Judge A Book By Its Cover) contest. Good luck!

Here's the link for anyone who hasn't voted yet. http://jabbic.hbarwa.com/science-fictionfantasyparanormal/

CJ Burright said...

Thanks for posting, Muriel - you're right, writing is fun! And that review is hilarious! :)

Nancy Gideon said...

Thanks for visiting, Muriel! LOL on the cat! I have two office companion who can be highly critical. Like your idea of the skinny detail page at the side of your work. I need that for my timeline! As far as reviews, it's always something . . .

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Great post, Murial. LOL on the sex rating. Guess you can't please everyone every time.