Monday, December 18, 2017

Give Yourself a Break! by Elizabeth Alsobrooks


Everyone deserves a break, but they probably need it even more during the hectic holiday season. Writers and even non-writers should take a break from their usual routine to read more and differently.



Authors often have such intense writing schedules they don’t take time to read much at all, but during the holidays put down your pen and relax with a good book written by someone else. Try reading a book on craft or reading a popular book in your own genre, both of which with improve your own skill set, as an added bonus to the relaxation of switching your routine to do something fun.

Non-writers too can use the holidays as a time for some fun reading. Read something your entire family can enjoy and talk about why you enjoyed it. Or just let everyone read what they love and take turns discussing their finds. This is also a great opportunity to read something you don’t usually read. Perhaps you always read one specific genre. Now’s the time to read an historical fiction rather than paranormal, or something by an up and coming new author.



So light those Yule logs, turn on some soft holiday music, grab a glass of wine or a hot toddy and curl up with a good book.  Here’s to escaping the season’s chaos inside your next great adventure story. Happy Holidays!






11 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog. I think some of us don't read enough. Like you said we are busy writing our own stuff.

S.K. Dubois said...

What a wonderful idea! I can barely remember the last time I sat down to read a book just because I wanted to. Of course we should all be reading in our genre to know what's going on, but to just read a new author for fun--woe! What a concept! Thanks for the reminder of how important down time is--and for the permission to curl up and read.🎄 Happy Holidays!

CJ Burright said...

I love the tradition in Iceland where people give each other books on Christmas Eve...and are expected to just read the rest of the night. How awesome would that be?!

Francesca Quarto said...

I intend to be buried with a few of my favorite writers..they haven't agreed to this yet, and some have already left without me, but their books shall make the journey with me into that vast unknown. Thanks Elizabeth, for reminding us how important the ideas of others are to our own work! Seasons greetings to all and to quote "Tiny Tim", God Bless Us One and All!

Diane Burton said...

What a great post, Elizabeth, and a terrific reminder to make time to read. I read in bed at night. A book that keeps me up into the wee hours is a winner in my book. ;) I usually read the genres in which I write. My book club "forces" me to read outside my usual choices. Between Christmas and New Year's Day is a slow period, so I plan to read more then. Wishing you much happiness now and throughout the year.

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Thanks, Victoria. I have to remind myself to read for fun.

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Thanks, Sorchia! I'm looking forward to some down time too.

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Wow, let's trendset, CJ! I love that idea@

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

LOL! You are a hoot, Francesca. Thanks for the chuckles. Good luck finding volunteers!🎅

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Thanks do much, Diane. Read on!

Maureen said...

A good reminder to slow down and escape with a book. Nothing is more magical and relaxing.