Friday, September 14, 2018

Hurricane Florence & Other Things That Go Bump in the Night


Hurricane Florence is rushing toward the Carolinas, and no one I’ve met in my hometown seems to be the least concerned. I’m both flabbergasted and concerned for everyone’s welfare. In Houston, where I lived until April 1 this year, the mention of a hurricane and the grocery shelves were bare of milk, bread and water. I went shopping and the shelves were well-stocked! But say the word ‘snow’ and the South closes down—the shelves are bare with the first mention of the ‘snow’word.

As it reaches the coast, the hurricane is dropping from the supposed Cat 5 to a Cat 2. We may only get rain, but lots of it.  I was in Houston last year when the city flooded and watched the water crawling from the bayou (a nice name for a water ditch) into my backyard and creep from the flooded street in front of my house. It was no fun. Luckily, in my area, the electricity never went off.
This year in my new home  I fear losing power.  Yes, I’m afraid of the dark. I have candles and a flashlight, but I’m accustomed to a nightlight.  I’m not good at roughing it—eating food cold and not taking a shower.

By the next time I post, Hurricane Florence will be history. I just hope that when she is remembered, it will be as one of the many such storms that ‘fizzled out'.

But I have my milk and bread.

4 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

Batten down tight. And stay dry! Having lost power in the middle of winter at my old apartment for four days at 55-degrees and having to huddle around the gas fireplace for (pitiful) heat with only the limited light from my I-pad, I can relate. If it wasn't for an old cat and guinea pigs I'd have been at the Marriott!

Be safe!

Diane Burton said...

I hope you & your family stay safe and dry. Having just dealt with a flooded basement (sump pump quit) I can appreciate dry. Stay safe!

Maureen said...

I hope all stay safe! I don't know how to handle a hurricane. We were stuck in Florida years ago when one came through and scared me to death. There were no basements! lol I know that would be the worst place to go for flooding- but I'm used to dealing with snow and blizzards and the occasional threat of a tornado in PA- not hurricanes.

Francesca Quarto said...

Have been most alarmed at the loss of life and of course, the devastation to property. Praying all is well with you and yours. Keep us posted and hang tightly to those candles!
Francesca Q.