Monday, April 22, 2019

SONG OF THE NILE New Paranormal Romance Release from Veronica Scott


It’s been a while since I was here to talk about ancient Egypt instead of scifi romance! Thanks for having me as your guest once more to share an excerpt from Song of the Nile!

I generally try to write one Egyptian paranormal romance novel per year but 2018 got too and before I knew it we were here in 2019 and I was determined not to lose any more time. (I did release quite a few scifi romances in that time though.)

I’ve been fascinated by ancient Egypt since I was in elementary school and read Mara, Daughter of the Nile, by Eloise Jarvis McGraw. At the time it was quite a revelation to me that an author could write a novel set thousands of years ago and make the vanished world so vivid and the people so real. I of course wanted more romance and more magic, which is why I make sure to have the gods directly involved in the plots of my own books.

In 2018 I was able to view the current traveling collection of selected pieces from King Tutankhamun’s tomb and as he lived about 200 years after the time where my novels are set, it was very inspiring. I’ll share some of my photos from the collection here.


The blurb:
Merneith, a harpist of rare talents, blessed by the goddess Hathor, has recently arrived in Thebes and joined Pharaoh’s court, but must hide secrets from her past. As she settles into her new life in the palace, the one man she can’t forget and followed to Thebes is unaccountably absent.

Nikare, a Medjai police officer serving under Pharaoh’s direct orders, is now deep undercover investigating high crimes against Egypt and forbidden to contact Merneith. Masquerading as a priest to deceive the plotters, he watches over her from afar and longs for the day he can approach her openly.
When an unscrupulous noble ensnares Merneith in the web of evil Nikare is pledged to bring down, the two must stand together against earthly and magical forces to save their own lives and protect Egypt.

How much help will the gods provide? Will the pair survive the final showdown between Pharaoh and the conspirators and find the happy future together they desire?

This is a standalone novel but is also a direct sequel to Lady of the Nile, which is where Merneith and Nikare were first encountered as supporting characters. Now they move front and center in the fight to protect Egypt from a new threat. Mild spoilers for Lady of the Nile.


The excerpt: Merneith meets another harpist who’s been assigned to mentor her in her first days at the palace:
“I’m to be your guiding light for your first month with us. I’ll tell you everything and, if I don’t, be sure to ask.” She sat on the bed and tilted her head, pointing at the clothing lying on top of the baskets. “Quite the wardrobe for a girl from a remote village.”

Blushing, Merneith hastily folded the fine linen sheath she’d been examining, admiring the exquisite embroidery at the hem, which was a pattern of lotus flowers and birds, and stuffed it hastily in the basket. Smoothing down the plain dress she was wearing, she said, “It was a gift. I’ll probably won’t need such fancy garb.”

“Yes, you will, I guarantee it. Musicians at the palace—especially those who are young and comely—receive many invitations.” Isetemkheb fluffed the braids on her wig and winked. Her makeup was intricate and bold, and her demeanor made it clear she spoke from experience.

“From who?” Merneith quailed at yet another complication in her new life. Couldn’t she simply play music and be allowed to enjoy using her talents? She sighed.

“Nobles, army officers, priests…any man who enjoys music and those who make it.” Now the woman examined her short fingernails, frowning, and studied a large gold and turquoise scarab ring on the same hand. “They can be most generous as well.”

“I—really—I’m just here to play the harp, learn new songs, earn my room and board.” A wave of vertigo swept over Merneith as she wondered what kind of life she’d fallen into.

“You have a man already? Back home perhaps?” Isetemkheb’s eyes narrowed and her expression sharpened. “A noble sponsor who helped bring you to the queen’s attention?”

Surprised by the questions, Merneith blinked. “No.” Anxious to put a stop to the direction the conversation was taking, she said, “I’m to go to the supply room and get wax for the harp I was assigned. New strings too. If you don’t mind showing me where the room might be.”

The other woman waved a hand. “Plenty of time for the drudgery of routine tasks. You’re going to need fittings for your performance dress as well. Luckily, Pharaoh and the queen don’t stint when it comes to what we wear.” She studied Merneith, as if measuring her for the aforementioned dress. "Is it true the Great Royal Wife herself appointed you to our group?”

“I came highly recommended.” Merneith made her answer short. The series of guesses and inquiries was becoming annoying and too inquisitive.

Isetemkheb’s eyes widened, disrupting the smooth flow of the malachite framing them on her lovely face. “Ooh, tell me more, because how does someone from a rural province even come to the attention of the Great Ones in Thebes?”

“Hathor blessed me. And I can’t discuss it beyond her generosity.” Merneith walked toward the door. “Can we go to the storage rooms now? I need to get my harp serviceable so I can practice properly before the Master calls on me to participate actively in rehearsals.”

As she’d hoped, the other harpist rose from the bed and followed her into the corridor. “Well, welcome to the troupe in any case. I rather like the fact you embody so many mysteries. It’ll be quite interesting to watch your career with us.”

VS Note: and of course Merneith isn’t going to tell her nosy new friend about Nikare, the Medjai police officer she really longs to see again…

Buy Links: Amazon     Apple Books     Nook     Kobo     Google


Author Bio and Links:
USA Today Best Selling Author
 Veronica Scott grew up in a house with a library as its heart. Dad loved science fiction, Mom loved ancient history and Veronica thought there needed to be more romance in everything. When she ran out of books to read, she started writing her own stories.
Seven time winner of the SFR Galaxy Award, as well as a National Excellence in Romance Fiction Award, Veronica is also the proud recipient of a NASA Exceptional Service Medal relating to her former day job, not her romances!
 She read the part of Star Trek Crew Member in the official audiobook production of Harlan Ellison’s “The City On the Edge of Forever.”



4 comments:

Veronica Scott said...

Thanks for having me as your guest today! Always fun to be here...

Diane Burton said...

Welcome back, Veronica. Since you were very involved in Paranormal Romantics, it's always a pleasure having you return. You did release a LOT of sci-fi romances last year. I could barely keep up. I'm anxious to read this story. I don't know the Egypt mythology the way I do Roman/Greek myths, so this should be great.

Maureen said...

Congrats on your new release! Love the cover!

Veronica Scott said...

Thanks Diane and Maureen! Yes, I enjoy the ancient Egyptian setting and it's fun to incorporate mythical elements that aren't Greek or Roman, for sure...so far my scifi romances have a much bigger readership so I kind of have to prioritize writing them, but I do enjoy a 'trip' to the Nile as a creative refresher. Always fun to write in such a totally different time frame.