Wednesday, December 30, 2020

A Year in Blessings

 


Hey, peeps, we’re almost there! Counting down the hours until we can kick 2020 out the door—with our steel-toed boots. Not that 2021 will start out great, but there is so much hope that it’ll end on a far better note.

Yet, there were some great moments to be had this year. Here are some of the highlights for me:

I am happy that my octogenarian parents have remained untouched by COVID-19. I can’t wait to be able to hug them again. My hubby and kids have also stayed virus-free. (Me too, in case you’re wondering.)



No major pet emergencies. Granted, we only have one pet at the moment, but still.

Took lots of delightful, socially distanced walks with my dad…and the (healthy) dog.




Kid #5 and I conquered the WORST jigsaw puzzle ever. Took us a month, and by the time we finished
we were ready to burn the damn thing. But we did finish! For the record, ever since I haven't been able to even think about Gone with the Wind without cringing.






Had not one, but two high school grads who managed to keep their senses of humor even though they missed out on almost all their senior activities/traditions.

 

 

 

 

 



The daily ducky visits to the puddle in the empty playground across the street last Spring. Hope they come back next year.

Somehow, I did not suffer a full-blown case of author-COVID-depression syndrome. Slacker that I am though, I did end up having to cram to complete my three novellas for the Intergalactic Dating Agency. Let’s be honest here, that wouldn’t have happened without a deadline.

And speaking of novellas, I published four this year! Skylar’s Gift (Prophecy series), Above the Storm, Wing and a Prayer, and Trial by Fire (all part of my new Silverstar Mates series.) A banner year, book number-wise.

Exciting times when work started on my very own office! It has a door! (If you'd like to see the progress, please subscribe to my newsletter: Lea's Letters from Space.)

After one postponement, I had cataract surgery over the summer. For the first time ever, I now have 20/20 vision in my right eye! Kinda exciting to not have to wear a contact lens in that one anymore.



I think have recovered enough from my distain for puzzles to take on this one, a gift from blogger Mary Smith via author Marlene Bell.

 


 


Discovering a way around the Stay-At-Home-Christmas. Thank you, Zoom, for giving us a way to "be" with our kids who no longer live at home!





The 2020 memes…oh, my gosh! Thanks to all the creative meme makers out there. I’m pretty sure that I laughed at more of those this year than during any previous year.

 

 




So, what about you? In a year of overwhelming odds, what positive moments of 2020 stand out for you? Don’t be shy…let me know in the comments.

May 2021 bring you peace, joy, and good health.

~Lea

P.S. - I have declared that this new year's eve is Unofficial National Stay at Home and Read Night. In case you're looking for some great new releases to snuggle with, check out these recent new releases from the SFR Station.



8 comments:

Nightingale said...

Glad you were able to achieve so much. Speaking of 2020 memes, did you see the one with two kids sitting on their grandfather's knee and the caption, "Granddaddy, tell us again about the Great Toilet Paper Famine of 2020." Congrats on the new books. Happy New Year, Lea, and everyone at Paranormal Romantics.

Nancy Gideon said...

Having Zoom meetings with my critique partners and writing groups saved my sanity this year. Just to talk to people outside of the household was an unbelievable gift I'll never take for granted again. But I have started a new book in a different genre (romantic suspense!) that has gotten me back in front of the keyboard while it's still dark outside. Hoping 2021 will finally let me get to Ireland after two postponements already. Stay safe out there my masked friends!!

Abigail Owen said...

I love that you listed all the good things Lea! I think that's even more important to look at this year. :) We had a very low key year, which, for me, was more my speed LOL. A kiddo graduated from elementary to middle school. All of us and our families remain healthy. And now we're looking forward to 2021. Happy New Year!

Mary Morgan said...

I so enjoyed your post, Lea! Recently, I made a list of the positive moments I can take with me, though there are only a few... my son and his girlfriend were engaged in January, and then decided to have a lovely wedding near the courthouse (it was only the two of them and her daughter). They didn't want to wait until this mess was over. My mom (87yrs) suffered mentally the beginning of this mess, but found joy in taking longer walks with me (socially distancing) or by herself. And she learned how to facetime. I found the joy of slowing down. I started to learn how to play the lap harp and study Gaelic. I took time out of my hectic marketing days to give back to me. This also led me back to my joy of writing, which somehow stalled earlier this year.

Whew! I think I've shared enough. :) Cheers to a much better 2021!

Diane Burton said...

Wow. I'm so impressed that you were able to achieve so much this year. What a year, hey? I think the key word is adapt. I've learned to adapt to not seeing the grandkids, not going out to dinner (we order take out), not going to lunch/dinner with friends, and learned new things (like Zoom) in order to stay in touch with family and friends. I hate change (don't we all?), but we've been forced to change, which isn't such a bad thing.

Happy New Year!

Lea Kirk said...

I did see that one, Linda! One of my faves. LOL

My hope is that our values have changed for the better, Nancy. Good luck on your new genre. Ireland or bust!

Low key is perfect, Abigail. Congrats on your new middle schooler.

Aww, congrats to the newlyweds, Mary. And, lap harp?! That's so cool! I'm thrilled you're writing again.

Ah, Diane, change forces us to grow, and that's good. As you know, the fear of change was the premise of my book Trial by Fire. Btw, thank you so much for the wonderful review of that one on BookBub!! XOXO

Happy new year, everyone!

Maureen said...

lol about the puzzle. I was just saying how I haven't done one in years and considered getting one..now, maybe there is a reason it's been years, lol. Happy New Year!

Cara Bristol said...

Looks like you had a great year despite the pandemic.