Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Dark Shadows



For Mother's day my family took me to see Dark Shadows, a light paranormal comedy starring Johnny Depp. 


"In the year 1752, Joshua and Naomi Collins, with young son Barnabas, set sail from Liverpool, England to start a new life in America. Two decades pass and Barnabas has the world at his feet-or at least the town of Collinsport, Maine. The master of Collinwood Manor, Barnabas is rich, powerful and an inveterate playboy...until he makes the grave mistake of breaking the heart of Angelique Bouchard. A witch, in every sense of the word, Angelique dooms him to a fate worse than death: turning him into a vampire, and then burying him alive. Two centuries later, Barnabas is inadvertently freed from his tomb and emerges into the very changed world of 1972."


It was a movie to watch and a blast from the past. John Depp did a marvelous job as Barnabas Collins. I love this niche of the paranormal genre where you see everyday life of monsters and can sympathize with their plight. And laugh at it too. Probably why I write these types of stories.


Not to mention, that even with all the dark make-up, Johnny is still hot.  Not a bad Mother's day present.


The movie is based on the TV series Dark Shadow, which can be found on Netflix.


As well as a movie, my family took me out to a new Chinese restaurant where my fortune cookie told me I was a happy man.  O-O  Did I miss something?






4 comments:

Hailey Edwards said...

I know I won't go see the movie in the theater, but I'm not sure I'll ever watch it (despite the hotness of Johnny). I had my fingers crossed so hard that the movie would be true to the series instead of a spoof. :(

I'm glad you enjoyed your Mother's Day out, though!

Rebecca Royce said...

I've sort of decided, like Hailey, not to see it. I loved the original series, dark and creepy. Not for me. But I do love Johnny Depp. And I'm so glad you had a wonderful mother's day!

Annie Nicholas said...

I haven't seen the TV show. Probably why I enjoyed the movie so much. The series is in my queue on Netflix for when I have time to watch TV.

J Hali Steele said...

Not going to see it either, couldn't stand anyone poking fun at Barnabas! But glad you had a Happy Mother's day.

A belated Happy Mother's day to everyone!!