Monday, May 14, 2012

led astray...to the dark side



Phew. I seriously wasn't sure if I'd be able to make my first post on the Paranormal Romantics, because my baby--my Mac--decided to not start up. After a reinstall, it's time to rebuild bookmarks and rewrite the works-in-progress.
Panic over.
And, squee, my first blog post on Paranormal Romantics is perfectly timed as I have a new release next week. The first in a brand new paranormal series -- we're talking zombies and vampires and all kinds of things that go bump in the dark. Bump and hump. It's super different from my usual style. Much darker. And snarky. I honestly can say I'm amazed my imagination was even capable of... mwahahaha-ness. Or that I'd enjoy writing such smut and scares. So I've gone from sweet Irish kisses and rock and roll hotties to a sadistic vampire having a zombie lover who isn't exactly Tupperware fresh anymore, telling stories so hot and graphic that I'd blush big time if my mother ever read them.
And it all kicks off with Strange and Beautiful on 22nd May.

So what was the inspiration that led me astray to the dark side?
An amazing artist with such unique flair and talent. I was watching one of her youtube live performances and Estella, Vampire Queen of the Rejected, just came to me. Literally. The artist is Emily Autumn. From her Neo-Victorian vibe right down to the lyrics of her songs. Ideas poked and prodded at my creative juices....
Estella was born. The fictional character I'd created in my mind simply bombarded me with ideas and plots, and wouldn't quit with her snark until I wrote her first introduction and story. This is where Lucy was created. She had to have a partner in crime. Someone who could help tell her stories and keep all her needs tended to. Well, I felt kinda sorry for her, having been left at the altar by Dracula. Yup. that's right. Estella is Dracula's mysterious 4th bride. Well, not quite. Because she never got the ring on her finger. And she's still cut up about it. Think of her as a vampire Mrs Haversham. Only her 'visitors' are folks looking for a tour of the York Cemetery house she lives in. But they get something quite different. A smutty story. Such visitors should be warned, though. More often than not, they don't make it out alive.

Where was the most surprising place your imagination has ever taken  you?

4 comments:

Annie Nicholas said...

I think what is so surprising with my imagination is that it works overtime while I sleep.

Half of my stories come from dreams.

JoAnne Kenrick said...

So you're like me and have something to take down notes at the bedside?
A lot of my layering issues are answered in my dreams.

Rebecca Royce said...

I don't think its actually when I'm asleep that I muse. I can't seem to turn it off during the day when I should be doing other stuff. I think its more like I sleep to have a break. LOL

Annie Nicholas said...

I should keep a note book but I don't. Lately, I've been letting the bunnies die. Too much to write at the moment, but I had this really surreal dream about dragons a few months ago that won't leave me be. LOL