Thursday, May 10, 2012

Unexpected




First I want to thank Paranormal Romantics for allowing me join. I'm really excited about being a part of this awesome team of authors. :)

Now for the unexpected part, when I started writing paranormal was not even on my radar.

*gasp*

I started writing historical. I have written some historical, but I find myself gravitating toward paranormal. I like world building and I like making stuff up.

Don't get me wrong. When I first starting out I love everything about the paranormal. Ghost Hunters anyone? Halloween was my favourite holiday and I was obsessed with mythology. Any mythology.

Yet, I never pictured myself following the rabbit to the Paranormal Wonderland, but then my first ever published book was, yep you guessed it, a paranormal. Masque of Desire was a Quickie which came out in 2007 with Ellora's Cave, but then I stepped away from paranormal. Hey, it got my foot in the door. I focused on some contemporaries and a few historicals, but I was finding that I was hitting a wall. I was stuck and in a deep writing rut.

Not. Fun.

My Muse took off.

I wrote a few pieces and an urban fantasy under another name, but I still felt a bit stuck.

And then a bear wandered into my head. A shape-shifter that is. He was powerful, gorgeous and he was a Mountie to boot. *sigh*

Suddenly I was writing again. Excited to do so and the world of bear shifters was unfolding in front of me as fast as I could write.

I had never read many paranormal romances. I read historicals and I thought that was where my voice was. I was talking to another writer who read only paranormal, never touched a historical, but found herself writing historicals and enjoying it.

It's funny where your voice is when you find it. Sometimes you're lucky and it's right where you thought it would be. Other times you can take a nice little side trip and find it right in front of your nose in the form of a bear, thunderbird or whatever shifter/paranormal creature takes your fancy (BTW Thunderbirds are currently on my plate too! LOL).

I hope you'll join me on the 10th of each month where I can keep you entertained with some snippet of the paranormal. Thanks for having me Paranormal Romantics and thank you for reading. :)

Until next month!


8 comments:

Annie Nicholas said...

LOL I started with sci-fi. :D But I read paranormals of all sorts as well.

Amy Ruttan said...

It's funny how you start off, where you think your voice is, but it's not there. LOL

I'm not complaining though! LOL!

Jennifer Leeland said...

Are you kidding? LOL! This happens to me all the time. Remember me? Contemporaries, then sci fi and THEN a historical.
Yeah. I get it. LOL!

Amy Ruttan said...

LOL! I knew you would, Jennifer. I think we're ALL cut from the same cloth.

Rebecca Royce said...

I started out writing Paranormals but all I could read back then was Science Fiction and Historicals. So glad to have you with us Amy!!

Brenda Hyde said...

I've been writing nonfiction for over 20 years and about 2 years ago the characters started popping into my head. Talk about shock. LOL

I can't wait to read your posts:)

Amy Ruttan said...

Thanks, Rebecca! I'm so glad to be here!

Amy Ruttan said...

Wow, Brenda! That is a big shock!!!

Thanks for stopping by. :)