Thursday, March 21, 2013

School Fundraiser... with books!

Heyla, it's me again!

Life lately is absolutely hectic. I'm teaching six classes, writing two serial novels, and doing my part to raise two little boys. My wife and I recently had the opportunity to support the boys' school by taking part in a book fair, where a big chunk of each book's sale price went to various enrichment programs in the school. The boys got books they like, the school got some much needed funding, and we got a little peace and quiet while they read instead of running around like maniacs or playing games-that-go-beep.

That got me thinking about where I work. It's an inner city school, and the funding sent from the Federal government never seems to reach us. I've got books older than my kids, desks older than I am, and no one actually remembers the last time we received a shipment of lab supplies. I've suggested a book fair, but that requires both a source of books and a local population that reads, neither of which we have.

I've donated copies of my own books to the library, as well as getting my publisher, Decadent, to donate a few of their YA titles. Just in case I haven't said it enough, thanks, DP! The kids love the books you sent! At any rate, while some of the students are getting some quality book-time from that, my classroom is still a unsupplied relic and the enrichment program I volunteer a few hours for every day is funded by happy thoughts, pocket change, and occasional hardware donations from my sister-in-law's husband.

So... here's the deal. I'm going to start donating half my writing income (royalties, prizes, all of it) to the school in the form of lab supplies and enrichment program stuff. If you've got some time and would like to pitch in, the details are here. Even if you don't have any money, my two serials are *free*, and the site pays me some money if I have enough votes every month.

Anywho, that's all I've got for you today. Hope to see you reading (and commenting on! and voting for!) my serials, and either way I'll see you here next month!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow that was strange. I just wrote an very long comment but after I clicked submit my comment didn't appear. Grrrr... well I'm not
writing all that over again. Anyways, just wanted
to say excellent blog!

My website :: diets that work fast for women