Monday, June 3, 2013

Latest Inspiration

Writers draw inspiration from life, music, movies, anything and everything.

I’m particularly moved by music. You might have noticed since I named a novel of mine Everlong. I’m not immune to the allure of a good show, though, and History Channel’s new series, Vikings, did what few television series have managed to do. It held my attention, and I tuned in to watch faithfully each week.

There were several things I loved about the show—its grit for one. Another was the lead character’s wife, Lagertha. She is a shield-maiden, a female warrior, and she is fierce as a mother and as a fighter. I fell in instant love with the strength and complexity of her character.

I would be remiss if I didn’t mention the song used during the opening credits. It’s a haunting melody called “If I Had A Heart” by Fever Ray. You have to take a listen. I bought the song after I heard it the first time. Needless to say, the lyrics “this will never end, ‘cause I want more” is sparking all sorts of ideas for future books.

How about you? Have you seen a show or heard a song lately that inspired you? Or maybe you’ve simply found a new show to watch or heard a new song that you enjoy. Let me know your latest discovery, and I’ll enter your name in a drawing for a $10 Samhain gift card.

2 comments:

Rhonda D said...

I have recently discovered a new show coming out, The Fosters. I'm pretty excited. I don't watch much tv, but this show looks worth it.
Thanks for sharing your inspiration.
Rhonda D

Tina B said...

I love that show!! I am sad that it is over for now. I agree with you about Lagertha. I really enjoyed seeing a woman love her children, her husband, her people and still be able to stand on her own when needed. She didn't let Ragnar push her around. :)
That song is definitely haunting. I think it suits the idea of the show perfectly. I have recently discovered a show called Orphan Black that is very interesting. It is about clones and has kept my interest so far.
Thank you for sharing, Hailey!