Saturday, June 22, 2013

You should totally read.....

Yesterday I was helping my husband at his job managing a hobby store. It's not my idea of a wild time, but I don't mind helping out, especially in the summer when they get really busy. So, most of my day consists of me manning the computer (you know, since I know squat about RC cars, helicopters or planes), but it's a job that needs to be done.

One of my husband's friends, a regular at the store, stopped in with his kids. He said his 13 year old daughter was big reader, always reading on her phone and iPad, constantly with a book--and that I should give her my information so she could read my stuff. Yeah....nope. Not happening. Some of what I write is pg13, but for the most part, it's not so I don't want to even remotely seem like a kid friendly read.

However, when she walked in I started up a conversation to see who she was reading. Turns out, yeah, she's not a big reader. She is trolling websites and shopping sites when her dad thinks she's 'reading', but we did talk books eventually.

She said right of the bat that she reads adult books, no more kid stuff. Then said she liked to read books that deal with social issues--like bullying and choices in school (not going to find that in an adult novel, really). But she also liked when all of that happened....to very realistic vampires.

I was able to give her a few ideas of who to read (mostly YA genre) and when she walked away it had me thinking about the things I read at 13. That was the year my aunts started passing their romance novels to me. I read more Nora Roberts that year than anything else. My teachers from then on, had to deal with the fact my book reports would always include a paragraph on my opinion of the 'romance' portion of the story.

If anyone mentioned an author name, I was allllll over them, so willing to be taken down a new path. I wonder if that girl will take my advice and try a new author...I really hope so!

All the best,
Stephanie Beck
www.stephaniebeck.net
www.facebook.com/StephanieBeckAuthor
www.twitter.com/StephBeck123

No comments: