Thursday, August 8, 2013

Shining a Light on Dark Shadows

I'm a little late to the party, but I am super excited about this.

The mysterious Barnabas Collins, the governess Victoria, Angelique the witch…curses, werewolves, vampires, possessions, hauntings, and references to more classic gothic romances than you can shake a stick at.

My history with Dark Shadows is long and complex. When it originally aired, my mom would rush home from school to watch it. Then, much later, when I was old enough to watch, my mother started renting the VHS tapes from our local Blockbuster.

I'm not sure if that was my first exposure to paranormal and gothic romance, but it had to have been close, and it almost certainly led to my later affection for gothic literature and, eventually, TV series like Forever Knight, which also had flashback story lines and a very similar soap-opera feel. Later, I got sucked into Buffy the Vampire Slayer and Angel, which sparked a whole host of other viewing habits!

And now, after all that, there are Dark Shadows tie-in novels. Written by the actress who played Angelique on the TV series. I. Am. Sold!

--Dianne


No comments: