Monday, April 4, 2016

Five Wonderful Insights You Need to Know About Writers

The moment I sat my butt in the chair and my fingers to the keyboard, intent on writing a novel—I knew I had a lot to learn.

Okay, honestly, I had no idea what was involved in writing a novel. You just sit down and write, right? Preferably in long stretches in a secluded cabin. 


Well, over the last ten years I’ve learned a lot about writing, but the most surprising thing I discovered was about the elusive introverts tapping away on the keyboards—the writers. (The uninterrupted time and secluded cabin continue to elude me.)

1.    Writers might horde sticky notes, pens, and chocolate (or is that just me?) but there’s no hoarding of information

·      If I ask a question on a writer’s loop- multiple answers & suggestions appear like magic
·      I’ve gained critique partners, beta readers, new ideas, email addresses-I can’t even list how much I’ve benefited from making writer friends.

2.     Writers make sacrifices for their love of the written word. Things like sleeping, a social life and occasionally…their sanity.

·      Turns out, I’m not completely insane for getting up at the crack of dawn to write- so do a ton of other writers.
·      Writers are the only people who don’t raise a brow when I confess to not watching most of the popular television shows (or much TV at all without my laptop)

3.     Writers embrace the odd and unusual- I’ve found my peeps! I’m not alone!

·      A secret obsession of office products is expected. Yes!
·      They utilize a clandestine language in their writerly discussions — WIP, PR, dayjob, TBR, RWA, TSTL…

4.     Writers can become fast friends even if they’ve never met or spoke in person

·      Some of my writer friends know me better than the people I see everyday
·      Could be because the people I see everyday get a little nervous when I share too much of what’s going on in my mind when a story is percolating.

5.     Writer’s boost each other up – sure there might be a little of the green eyed monster now and then, but for the most part there are never too many stories.


·      I’ve never heard anyone say, “I just can’t read another book. Or I have no room for another author in my TBR pile.”

Writers- what insights would you like to add?
 Non-writers (i.e.: normal folk)- How do you envision your favorite authors?  (I was pretty sure 'my authors' lived in that cabin...still waiting on the invite...)

8 comments:

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Can't think of anything to add at this time...I'm sure something will come to me after I post this comment LOL!

Enjoyed the post.

Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

M.J. Schiller, Romance Author said...

Nice analysis! I agree with all that you've said. It's nice to find people who understand you. I was in a meeting recently and made some metaphorical reference, something that just popped into my head, and it just came off as wacky! We tend to see the world through a different lens.The fun thing about writing is you are always learning. Thanks for sharing, Maureen!

Maureen said...

Thanks for visiting Pam!

Maureen said...

Lol! Thanks for stopping by, MJ!

Alicia Dean said...

Wonderful post...I thoroughly enjoyed it. As much as I love the entire process of writing, one of the best things about it is the support and camaraderie of other writers. You are absolutely correct. And, having other people to talk with who truly understand is priceless. I can't think of anything to add...you said it splendidly!

Maureen said...

Thank you Alicia! I appreciate you stopping by.

Susan Coryell said...

You are so right (write?) We writers/author colleagues support each other and gain so much from doing so. I love my cyber-friends who labor each day to create and share. Nice post!

Maureen said...

Thanks Susan! So happy you stopped by!