Monday, January 1, 2024

A New Beginning by Diane Burton


 The above picture of Janus (the Roman god) always reminds me of today, New Year's Day. Yesterday, many TV programs featured pictures/stories about 2023. We looked back at the old year. Did we learn anything? Good things that we should repeat and those mistakes that we shouldn't. 

Janus is known as the two-faced god, one looking back and the other looking forward, an old man and a youth. New Year's Day presents an opportunity to begin again.

I'm a firm believer in new beginnings. That I don't have to be mired in the past. That I can change. Many of us have had difficult years, days/months that we'd like to forget--or, at least, put behind us. Today, gives us that opportunity. A time to start over.

I'm not going to lecture about making resolutions or setting goals. Been there, done that in previous New Year's Day posts. Instead, I encourage you to start 2024 with a new attitude. One of encouragement, positivity, and hope.


 



8 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

A new attitude! YES! Much better than those "resolutions" that quickly fade and are forgotten. Positivity is something I really, really need to practice in 2024 (Squee! that's the first time I've used 2024 in 2024!). What good are goals if you don't have the power of stick-to-it-ness. My mom used to always say, finish what you start before moving on to something else.

Jessica E. Subject said...

Yes, it is good to leave behind the difficulties of the past and move forward, and often to learn from them. I'm looking forward to this year. I hope it will be a better year for everyone!

Diane Burton said...

Smart mother, Nancy. Best wishes for a great year.

Diane Burton said...

I'm with you, Jessica. Hoping for a better year.

Nightingale said...

I'm hoping for a better year as well, and a lot of change in my outlook. I can't cling to negativity in this brand new year. I have to learn to think positive.

Keri Kruspe said...

While I think 2024 is going to be a bumpy year (for many reasons, not just political), I'm looking forward to beginning a new life. Welcome 2024!

Diane Burton said...

Great attitude, Linda. It's so easy to cling to negativity. Letting go and moving on is better for our mental health. Happy New Year.

Diane Burton said...

Here's hoping the bumps will smooth out, Keri. Happy New Year!