Monday, January 31, 2011

Bold and Bad Heros

Jarlaxle

That's the name of my most favorite character of my long list of favorite characters.

Who is this man? Well, first off, he's not a man but a dark elf, a drow. I'm doing a little happy dance in my chair because as I researched a picture of him, I found out R.A. Salvatore released a new book with him in it! *happy dancing some more*

RA Salvatore introduced me to the idea that the hero doesn't need to be a good guy.  Jarlaxle is the charismatic and opportunistic drow leader of the mercenary band, Bregan D'aerthe. He's flamboyant where most of his race is reserved, yet skilled and intelligent enough that warriors want to follow him.

These books aren't in the romance genre but I loved the worlds created by this author and though I don't write fantasy RA Salvatore has influenced some of my writing.

I've been accused of always routing for the bad guy. Guilty as charged. LOL

Which has lead me to my own character:

Tane
(the one on the right)


It's hard chosing from my cast of characters but Tane has a special place in my heart. As I wrote BAIT a secondary character came to life and I loved him so much, I made him one of the heros in CATCH. Tane is a Nosferatu vampire and I wrote him the way I truly see a vampire acting. He doesn't care what others think or hurting someone's feelings. With all the time in the world available to him, he can devise complicated schemes and see them through, yet somehow stay innocent of all crimes. He a charming asshole with a vice for power, martinis, and interesting people.

*clears throat* Notice both my choices are bald. LOL What can I say?

I'm off to download the new Jarlaxle book onto my Nook!!

9 comments:

D. F. Krieger said...

LOL, I always fell harder for Zaknafein in Salvatore's series. But yes, the bad boys often appeal to me as well. The danger factor is an allure. *Sigh*

I've put your book on my TBR list!

Vegetarian Cannibal said...

Gotta check out Salvatore. Never heard of him until today. I happen to like bad boys a great deal. I think it's the inner psychologist in me trying to "analyze" their motivations, lol!

Cool post!

Sara Brookes said...

Bald and bad, ain't nothing wrong with that-AT ALL. *G*

Rebecca Royce said...

I am going to have to check out that character Annie. I've never heard of him. Tane, however, I have read

Annie Nicholas said...

D.F.-Zaknafein? Which book is that? I'd liket to check it out.

D. F. Krieger said...

It's the first two Drow books that is set in the Underdark. Zaknafein is Drizzt Do'Urden's father. *Swoons*

Annie Nicholas said...

Well, that was a huge DUH! moment for me. LOL I remember him now. Yep, a hottie as well.

Anonymous said...

Great post today. The cover is gorgeous.
Liz

J Hali Steele said...

*sigh* Annie, my TBB pile is toppling over in my mind, but I'll find room, somewhere, somehow, for another bad guy. Hmmm...a dark elf.