Thursday, May 7, 2015

10 Paranormal TV Shows I Can't Get Enough Of

Lately, I've been binge-watching The X-Files and loving it all over again. Maybe not the most romantic of the paranormal options I can think of, but I always had a crush on Scully, so it worked for me. It got me thinking about the other paranormal shows I've watched and loved in recent years, and about the sad fact that most of them have ended. Of the first ten that came to mind, only two are still on the air. (Although some, like The X-Files, had respectably long runs.)

Here's my list in roughly chronological order of first air date:
  1. The X-Files
  2. Buffy the Vampire Slayer
  3. Charmed
  4. Angel
  5. Supernatural
  6. Hex
  7. Ghost Whisperer
  8. Medium
  9. Fringe
  10. Lost Girl
A few others deserve honorable mention: The Secret Circle, a CW show that only lasted a season—it wasn't fantastic, but I thought it had promise—and The Fades. Technically a zombie story, The Fades has a supernatural element, so I'm calling it paranormal. Like Hex, The Fades was a BBC show that ended prematurely, after only six episodes.

The two shows that are still going are Lost Girl, in its fifth season, and the apparently immortal Supernatural, finishing up Season 10 and reportedly coming back in the fall for Season 11. Though Supernatural is the only one on the list with no romantic element, it has epic bromance. Sure, sure; they're brothers. But we've all seen the fanfic. ;)

Two others that are (maybe) both still on the air that I've been enjoying are Haven (SyFy) and Hemlock Grove (Netflix). Hemlock Grove is a weird one, but it's got romance...and bromance. Since I write weird, I can't throw stones. I'd like to blame all this television watching on my weird bent, but I think it goes back a little too far to make that claim

There's one last show I have to mention: Dracula. That cancellation still has me so mad I can't see straight.

And I just realized I forgot two other current shows: Grimm and Sleepy Hollow. So, yay, there are still some paranormal options out there, and probably others that are currently slipping my mind. Which ones are your favorites? Any I missed?

1 comment:

Tina B said...

I love Grimm!
I used to watch Supernatural, but got bored after about the 8th season. Though my hubby still watches it.
I was watching Lost Girl, but stopped that as well.
I watch Haven and Hemlock Grove (it is weird), but have to catch up on both of them. PNR is my first love, so I am always in search of great ones. ;)
Thank you for sharing your list, Jane!