Sunday, February 25, 2024

Deep In The Heart of Texas . . . Saddle up! by Nancy Gideon


Help! I’m ping ponging and I can’t pick a side! It’s riding in the Wild West with the Bass family then slinking into the darkness with the vampires of my “Touch of Midnight” series. Then, there in the sultry shadows, are the shapeshifters in New Orleans waiting to take a bite out of my available time. What’s a writer to do? Especially when she loves them all equally. Buuuut there are only so many hours in the day to devote to the keyboard, so I’ve got to take a breath and take a side. This week and next, it’s back in the saddle with the Basses in Texas. I’ve always had a soft spot for Westerns, since watching everything from Rory Calhoun and John Wayne with my dad to the modern-day heroes (or anti-heroes) of Longmire, Deadwood and Yellowstone. It must be the hats – or the tight denims, but I love them there cowboys whether watching them, reading about them, or writing their stories. Probably why I had serious breakup problems ending my Prescotts of the Dakotas and Basses from Texas series. And why, after getting the rights back to those books, I’m currently spending quality time with Randall Bass in a new adventure, HER TEXAS HERO. Here’s a sneak peek at HER TEXAS HERO . . .

 The Excerpt 

A sudden shift of his stallion’s gait came close to unseating him, making Rand grab like a greenling for the saddle horn.

Horses were funny creatures. Those who didn’t know better considered them dumb beasts of burden, but being raised by a woman who thought the four-legged deities were a step up from most human folk, he trusted his mount’s instincts just as he valued his cousin’s. The animal’s uneasiness telegraphed through the forward swivel of ears and sudden choppy gait even before they crested a low rise to come upon a curious site.

What was a peddler’s wagon doing out in the middle of all this nothing? And what had prompted the most glorious female he’d ever seen to come racing toward them as if the devil, himself, was in pursuit?

Ignoring the inner twitch of caution advising him to go slow, Randall kicked up his mount, rushing toward the chance to ride to the rescue of a damsel in obvious distress.

“Rand!” Carson shouted behind him. “Pull up. This ain’t none of our business! You don’t know what you’re riding into.”

Sure, he did. He was getting the chance to play hero for the first time after nineteen years surrounded by the stuff of legends!

I’m only 100 pages in but am totally into the story and characters. I’ve got the rights back to the first five books but have to have them rescanned from the paperbacks since I no longer have the original manuscripts. Then, the best part . . . new covers. Sigh!

Yee Haw! I’m spending the weekend someplace warm!! How about you?

♚♚♚♚♚
Nancy Gideon on the Web



1 comment:

Jessica E. Subject said...

A great snippet, Nancy! Very intriguing!