Wednesday, April 10, 2024

Not Retired, Just Rewriten: My Leap into Full-Time Writing by Keri Kruspe


 

This year, approximately 4.1 million Americans are crossing the significant milestone of reaching retirement age, a time traditionally viewed as the juncture for winding down one's professional endeavors.

However, trust me to take a break from convention. Instead of slowing down, I'm embracing this pivotal moment not as a finale but a chance to take a leap forward. In this article I’m going to get a little personal. I’ll share my journey of trading in the security of my secular job to pursue a passion that's been driving me for the last five years. Something that’s been simmering deep inside me since I was in my preteen years. Living the life of a full-time author.

Join me as I navigate the transformative phase of redefining 'retirement' and embarking on what promises to be the most fulfilling chapter of my life yet. But first, I’d like to take a quick look back at the last sixty years and the events I lived through. While I’m only giving one important event that shaped each decade personally and overall, it gives you a taste of what helped shape my life.

1960's

Civil Rights Movement:

This was a pivotal series of events aimed at ending racial segregation and discrimination against African Americans and securing legal recognition and federal protection of the citizenship rights enumerated in the Constitution and federal law.

Personal:

The moon landing. Even though I was a young child, I remember sitting with my family in front of the black-and-white TV and mesmerized by the blurry images.

1970's

Watergate Scandal:

A major political scandal that occurred following a break-in at the Democratic National Committee headquarters at the Watergate office complex in Washington, D.C., leading to the resignation of President Richard Nixon in 1974.

Personal:

Ah, puberty and the teenage years. In high school, I was a nerd, complete with red hair, glasses, and freckles, and couldn’t care less about politics. I was on the yearbook staff and part of the literary club. Right after high school, I met and married my bubby, giving birth to my first child.

1980's

End of the Cold War:

Although the process was complex and stretched over the decade, significant events such as the fall of the Berlin Wall in 1989 symbolize the end of the Cold War, leading to the eventual dissolution of the Soviet Union in 1991.

Personal:

Gave birth to my second child. Started a career in banking and spent the decade moving up the ranks, reaching Assistant Manager. My hubby and I bought our first home to raise our children.

1990's

The Internet Revolution:

The decade saw the commercial rise of the internet, transforming business practices and society, and leading to the dot-com bubble. It profoundly changed the way we communicate, access information, and do business.

 

Personal:

Gave birth to my last child. Became a VP in the bank with over 300 employees – then got laid off after 21 years with the same company. The 90’s were a time of growth for me. After fourteen years, my hubby and I got divorced.


2000's

September 11 Attacks:

In 2001, terrorist attacks on the World Trade Center and the Pentagon had a profound impact on the nation, leading to significant changes in U.S. foreign and domestic policy, including the War on Terror and the introduction of the USA PATRIOT Act. I was actually 2000 miles away from home in a training session. Took me a week to get home.

 

Personal:

Began dating hubby, making sure I took it slow and easy. We eventually remarried (still together today… our relationship stronger than ever!). Worked at various financial institutions in several different capacities. 

2010's

Rise of Social Media and Smartphones:

While not a single event, this decade was marked by the widespread adoption of smartphones and social media, significantly impacting social interaction, politics, and information dissemination.

Personal:

Moved from Nevada to Michigan. Worked for several banks and credit unions. Towards the end of the decade, I published my first book.

2020's (so far)

COVID-19 Pandemic:

The outbreak and global spread of the coronavirus in early 2020 led to massive changes in daily life, economic downturns, and a reevaluation of global health infrastructure.

Personal:

Like those 4.1 million Americans I mentioned at the beginning of this article, I reached retirement age this year. Grabbing the opportunity with both hands, I handed in my notice at the bank and am looking forward to making my writing career profitable.


To quote a famous American, Martin Luther King Jr:

"Free at last, thank God almighty, I'm free at last!"


 


1 comment:

Nancy Gideon said...

How well I remember that step into retirement! Actually, I had the "luxury" of being a stay-at-home mom after the birth of Son One until my two boys were in high school, with my full-time job as an author. Then I worked two full-time jobs going back to work and getting up at 4:30 a.m. to get my writing time in. Whew. Can't imagine how I did that looking back on it. Now I'm retired from the 9-to-5 and blissfully making my own writing hours.