Thursday, March 3, 2011

Hurry, Hurry, Wait

A conversation with my husband last week got me thinking about how much patience plays a role in being involved with the publishing industry. It relates a lot to a post I made here at PR last year about how being an author is similar to riding a roller coaster. (The Lift Hill) It seems like there's a lot of hurry up and wait, and really, there is. But it's there for a reason.

Would you really want a publisher to receive your submission, read it as soon as they do and offer? Give it a little thought. If they've read your submission as soon as it came through the door, it might mean they have nothing else in their submission pile. Which, I personally, take as a flag. I once read a blog post by Carina Press detailing out the submission process they use and wow, was it eye opening. *Check it out here. It gives you a really good idea just what submitting your work to a publisher entails. And really, think about it, would you want something that you've spent a great deal of your hard earned time on to have a quick turn around. Not sure about you other authors, but I'd want someone to take just as much care with it as I did.

No comments: