Sunday, August 10, 2014

Summer Almost Over

I can't believe it's August.

July was a bit nutso for me. I was trying to get a story done for a boxed set which is coming out August 19, had minor tweaks on my fifth Harlequin medical, was offered a 4 book contract for more medical romances and signed with an agent.

OH and my newest medical released in July.

*takes a breath*

So it's been a hectic summer to say the least.

I still feel like I'm trying to keep up.

And since my brain is fried, you all get a sneak peak of my novella Building Bridges, which is part of the Brought to His Knees Boxed Set releasing August 19.

“What’s wrong?” William asked.
“My friends. I get the feeling they’re not too happy with me. This is our usual quarterly get together, but it was hard to arrange with my work schedule. Usually I go into Calgary and meet them on their turf. Tonight I forced them to come back home.”
William glanced over where she pointed and hissed. “Yeah, you’re right. They don’t look happy. They kind of look constipated.”
She giggled. “Stop.”
“Well they do, with their pursed lips and the way they’re sitting there stiff, like something is up their asses.”
“I should go over to them. Get it over with.” Only she couldn’t get up and do that.
“Who says?”
“What?” She asked.
“Let’s get out of here.”
Molly was shocked. “Are you suggesting an escape plan, Mr. Sharples?”
“I believe I am, Ms. Brooks. Are you in or are you out?”
Molly bit her lip and glanced at her friends. They were late and had barely been here for five minutes, but Janice was already glancing at her watch and Maria was rolling her eyes. Even though she should go over there and have a drink with them, she didn’t want to do it.
They’d just go on about her growing up and getting a real job or settling down. Probably the only real reason they came out to Buffalo Corner was because she was their charity case. She made them and their pathetic, fake lives look good. She hated being the charity case.
They’d give her marriage advice. Try to set her up. Recently they were after her to date Ronnie.
“You should date Dr. Shaw. How perfect would that be?”
Everyone was so eager for her to get into poor Ronnie’s pants. Except her. And apparently that made her some kind of weirdo.
She couldn’t do anything right in the eyes of her friends or her mother.
Not even going to vet college was good enough for them. It was still rough work. They’d grown up in the country, but they’d shed that and become something Molly didn’t really like.
“Okay,” she said, suddenly excited. “Let’s get out of here.”
“Is there a back exit?” William asked, as he took off his cowboy hat and jammed it low on her head.
“Of course, past the bathrooms and down that hall.”
William took her hand. “Stay behind me and we’ll edge our way over.”
Molly suppressed a giggle. “Aye-aye, Captain.”
“Let’s go.” William stood and Molly slipped in behind him, still holding his hand as they slowly sidled along. Only, they were drawing way too much attention to themselves.
“Molly, is that you hiding behind that guy?” Janice asked, a sharp edge to her voice.
“I think we’ve been discovered,” William whispered.
“I think so,” Molly laughed. “What do we do now?”
“Molly, this is childish,” Maria called out.
“Run.” William shouted, darting for the door.
“Run!” Molly followed, holding tight to his hat so it didn’t fly off her head. She laughed the whole way, ignoring the cat calls and the shouts from her friends.
When they were outside, William grabbed her hand and took her to his big, black Dually. She climbed inside while he started it. With a roar of the engine, he shifted it into gear and they raced down the one and only street in Buffalo Corner, out into the foothills and the coulee walls. It was almost like riding off into the sunset, except the sun was still high in the sky at nine o’clock at night.
“That was the most immature thing I’ve ever done,” she said, regaining her composure.
“Oh come on. I find that hard to believe. I’m sure you’ve done stupider stuff as a kid.”
“Okay, yeah. I have. That was the most immature thing I’ve done all week then.” Molly snorted and then covered her mouth, mortified that she snorted while laughing.
William chuckled. “You’re right. You’re no lady.”
She drove her fist into his arm. “Now what, genius? You have me in your truck, is that where your brilliant plan ends?”

“Darling, it’s just getting started.”





Amazon: Link Coming Soon


No comments: