Sunday, November 26, 2017

Getting Your Creative Mojo Back



Other writers may have a project that they stick to until the very end. I felt the same way. I had to pick a project and work until it was finished.

This time it didn’t work for me. I was working on a time travel project. I changed every scenario, re-did the outline 5 or 6 hundred times, I even changed the names of my characters hoping I would feel the vibe. It just wasn’t happening. I started to dread going to my computer and ask myself again, what next? The cursor was my enemy, accusing me of not trying hard enough.

Then, of course the procrastination started. It was always, I’ll get back to it tomorrow. No, that didn’t happen, tomorrow turned into next week, and then more time passed, and I felt guilty for not getting back to it. Thus, the vicious cycle

I talked to my friends about the book, and they gave me great ideas, and new directions. I would feel motivated for about a week, then the ideas dried up, and I was back to staring at the computer, watching the cursor blink like it was expecting something to happen.

Then one day I was looking through my computer files and the title of an old project peeked my curiosity. I wondered what my mind set was when I started it. I put it aside because I had this other book to finish. It was my obligation.

When I opened the file, it was like opening a door that glowed on the other side, waiting for me. It was a fantasy about a crystal city. As I read a few paragraphs the ideas flew into my head. An outline was created in one night. In a week I wrote 20,000 words. My fingers couldn’t type fast enough. For the last few weeks I have been getting up early to work on this new and wonderful project until my granddaughter arrived in the morning for daycare

At night I’d think about what I was going to do the next day, and what new adventure would my characters have. This is an amazing experience. I don’t think I have been this excited about a project since I started writing my first book. It has great possibilities, and my imagination is limitless.

Do you have book ideas filed away in your library? Project you once set aside. I bet you do. If you get bogged down with a project, take a look and see if there is anything else that inspires you.








2 comments:

Nancy Gideon said...

The energy that comes with inspiration is an awesome thing not to be ignored!! My next project is always calling to me before I can finish the tedious editing for my WIP. I finally gave up and jotted down those scene while they burned bright and low and behold, a third of my next book was already done before I started! Going back is harder for me to catch that initial passion again.

Diane Burton said...

That is so fabulous that your enthusiasm is back, Victoria. And to write 20k words in a week? Holy cow! I know exactly what you mean. Like you, I had a project that I felt I had to finish. Yet, I procrastinated terribly. Other projects sent out that siren's call, "Write me!" I have so many half-finished or completed but not ready projects. I need to listen to my Muse. Thanks for the encouragement.