Monday, January 13, 2020

New Year - New Resolutions by Diane Burton

The new year, new decade, is 2 weeks old. Almost. Each year, I start out with new resolutions. Rather, I recycle last year's resolutions. Eat healthier, exercise more, finish that d*mn book. 

Eat healthier: we're off to a good start there. Hubs is on a low salt diet (because of his heart and kidneys). That's motivated both of us to be more conscious of ingredients. You know, the label on the sides of packages? My eyes zero in on sodium grams. But, more importantly, reading the size of a portion. That's where we often fall down. I read "500 grams sodium" and think that's good. Until I look at the portion. Half a cup? Say what! Our "normal" portion is a cup. Now we're looking at 1,000 grams (half his daily amount). Don't buy that.

I'm also hitting Weight Watchers (now called WW) on a regular basis. I know it works...when I work at it. So, Wednesday mornings you'll find me at a meeting to get inspired to track what I eat and to eat healthier.

Exercise: not doing so good there. Yet. Snow, ice. Yep, that hit us this weekend. Our daughter told us about these things you put on your shoes (Yak Trax) that help prevent slipping outdoors. They came yesterday. I'll have to try them out today. Or maybe tomorrow.

Finish the book: I'm rereading Linda Howard's Kiss Me While I Sleep. How does that connect to the book I'm writing? No, I'm not procrastinating finishing my book. The Spy (4th book in my Outer Rim series) is about a rookie covert agent who has to bring in a veteran before his cover is blown. Howard's book is about a veteran agent who has to eliminate another veteran who's gone rogue. That's given me some ideas. I'm stuck at the 75% mark. I know the ending, but I think I've written myself into a corner. I've pulled back. Reading or rereading to fill the creative well helps. 

I've been sharing 8-10 sentence snippets from The Spy with the Weekend Writing Warriors on my blog each weekend. The comments have inspired me more than I expected. My fellow Warriors anticipate things I never thought of. They've made me step back and rethink the motivations of the main characters. Better than a critique group.

Since I don't have a cover yet, here's the rest of the series.


Tentative blurb for The Spy.

Rookie agent must rescue veteran before his cover is blown.

Genna Nogaro, new to the Coalition of Planets’ Intelligence Commission, is assigned to bring in an undercover operative in Hallart’s organization. More experienced agents died before getting him out. Were they killed by the intergalactic gangster or has the operative gone rogue?

Quintall d’Sernin, con man extraordinaire, infiltrated the mob and moved up to be the gangster’s right-hand man. Hallart has his tentacles throughout the Coalition—business, industry, and government. Quin’s finally worked himself into a valued position. All he needs is the key to mob structure in order for Coalition forces to take down the entire organization.

Genna will pose as a new recruit to distract Hallart long enough for Quin to find the key. If they work together, they can accomplish more. But Quin and Genna’s lives are jeopardized by a mole in the Intelligence Commission. Will their true roles be revealed before they accomplish their goal?

How are you doing on your resolutions for 2020?


   

6 comments:

Maureen said...

Hi Diane! I'm also refocusing on WW as well as my writing and self-care. I didn't quite make 'resolutions' as I tend to regurgitate them and often fail that way. Hanging in there so far this year!

Nancy Gideon said...

Man oh man our 2020 resolutions look similar. I do WW on line and keep coming back to it when things get out of control after holidays/vacays but I never stick long enough for it to do the job. I've joined Planet Fitness but have been gone so much I have yet to establish a visit pattern. Writing is always there. I'm in the middle of 2nd round revisions and stumbled on a big thing I may have overlooked (better now than after it's published!).Instead of BIG resolutions, I've had better luck with same goals. I'll address that in my Jan. post on the 25th.

Diane Burton said...

WW has worked for me--when I work at it. I find I'm better at it when I attend the meetings. Maureen, I know what you mean about failing at resolutions. I tend to forget them. That doesn't help. LOL We need to take care of ourselves.

Diane Burton said...

Nancy, I visited Planet Fitness because I'd heard so much about it from a friend. Geez, do they ever have the treadmills! I was planning to join with Hubs, but he's supposed to get rehab after his aortic valve replacement. Not sure why we haven't heard from the doc's office about that. Anyway, I should just do join on my own. Good luck with the revisions. Looking forward to your post on the 25th.

Denise Covey said...

Hi Diane! I don't really make New Year's resolutions, but I've determined to begin publishing in 2020. Eating healthier and exercising more would be a good place to be! Good luck with that!

Blogger said...

As claimed by Stanford Medical, It is really the one and ONLY reason this country's women get to live 10 years longer and weigh 19 kilos lighter than us.

(Just so you know, it is not related to genetics or some secret exercise and absolutely EVERYTHING around "how" they are eating.)

BTW, What I said is "HOW", not "what"...

Click this link to reveal if this easy test can help you unlock your true weight loss possibilities