Monday, May 18, 2020

How to Get More Blog Readers by Elizabeth Alsobrooks


The following is not easy, but totally doable and this is one instance where I might say to do as I recommend, not what I do. Hopefully, logic will tell you that if you really want more readers, you should try to do at least most of these recommendations.

A Great Headline
Well, what comes first in a good blog? A great headline is what readers see first, because just like a great book cover, a blog headline grabs the reader’s attention and makes them take at least a preliminary look. Be sure your headline grabs the readers attention by making a promise, offering some helpful info on how to do something, an informative review of just about anything from a good book to a useful kitchen appliance, or some welcome motivation. Be creative, but be mindful that a great blog is never spam. [I feel sorry for my personal fb ‘friends’ who too often get to see all the mundane things I post for my own free storage rummaging. In my defense I try not to do that on my professional sites.] If you are still not sure you have a good headline, try this headline analyzer tool : https://coschedule.com/headline-analyzer


Great Keywords
What? Well, you need to have some good SEO words in your blog. Google Adwords Keyword Tool is a good place to read up on what words will land your blog upward bound in engine searches.

Who Doesn’t Like Free?
Give something away! Have a contest or a randomized drawing. Everyone likes free. It doesn’t have to be something expensive. Ebooks cost you very little to give away, yet readers appreciate the free read, and they could become your biggest new fan!

Consistency
Ugh, don’t you just hate that word? It’s like parenting 101. It’s also true in many other aspects of life and writers with a big readership know that reader expectation is created with consistency. If you always deliver a good product you will build an ever-growing audience. It just makes sense. So you have any ‘favorite’ authors, perhaps one where you can say, “I’ve read every single book they’ve ever written.”  If so, it’s probably because you expect that each new book is going to be just as good as the last. But what if it wasn’t? Would you be so eager to grab their next one? Probably not. So consistency in great blogs is a must. And no, your readers don’t really care what you had for breakfast unless you share a unique recipe or diet plan. Unless you’re their heartthrob movie star, they just aren’t that interested in the mundane things in your everyday life. Biographies, unless they’re of pivotal celebrities, just don’t sell well and have a narrow market. 



Get in Front of Readers
Have you ever tried a thunderclap campaign or a fb ad? Maybe you should. Here's a great place to read about that: https://www.m2social.net/blog/a-guide-to-launching-a-thunderclap-campaign/  Although scandal and fake news shut the 'actual' thunderclap ap down, you can still use the same principals. You can also use a platform such as: https://www.postspeaker.com/index.html Social media is a good way to draw attention with your catchy headline. So get your tribe to tweet, share, and upload to Instagram or any other social media networks in which you participate.

Blogger to Blogger
Bloggers read blogs. Sounds obvious, right? But did you ever stop to think about what would happen if you comment on other blogs? Perhaps those folks would comment on yours too. I am VERY bad about getting around to doing this. I read all day almost every day, but I often fail to take the time to read just for the sheer enjoyment of it. I should. I enjoy reading good blogs, and generally comment when I do. I know a few folks who do this and I have noticed that they get more responses to their own blogs than others. Hm. Makes sense to me.

And have you considered getting your name and blogability skill out there by guest blogging on other blogs that have another unique set of followers? Yup, a broader audience is your goal, and this is a great way to reach it. You can reverse that too. Invite bloggers with their own audience to guest blog on your blog site! 



These are just a few ideas for gaining a broader blog readership, but if you use them CONSISTENTLY, you may be surprised at your success. Let me know how it goes, and be sure to share any ideas you may have, blogger to blogger!

4 comments:

Maureen said...

Great tips! I love Headline Analyzer and use it frequently.

Diane Burton said...

I'm going to check out Headline Analyzer. Thanks for mentioning it. I'm a firm believer in the Golden Rule--do unto others, etc. And that means commenting on their blogs, FB posts, and retweeting. Then, I hope they will do the same for me. I invite guests, also with the hope that when I want to be a guest, they'll have me.

Lots of good stuff in your post, Elizabeth. Thanks.

Nancy Gideon said...

Thanks for the tips, Dr. E!! Just in time.

Biswajit Das said...

Nice articel, This article help me very well. Thank you. Also please check my article on my site Know All About Social Media Sharing HTML Link Code.