Saturday, May 20, 2023

At home and then back out.

At home and then back out.

I made it home after being away for four months. Many of you know I am a snowbird spending the winter months at a campground in Florida. This year was tough. Pollen was the worst in a long time, and I ended up in the emergency room. A shot in the keister and prescription got me through but not “fixed”. I had to call the doctor from the road. He got me in the next day. Yikes! I had a book signing at Brook Hollow Winery in Columbia, New Jersey, on Saturday. Thankfully I was able to push through asthma and fake being well.



Let’s chat about book and reader events. I LOVE them. Yes, it’s about readers wanting your books. But honestly, I just adore being around like-minded people. Authors are readers, Readers are authors, and we’re all one big happy family.

Somehow even after an exhausting day of talk, talk, talking, I’m energized. Truth be told, I’m usually a very quiet person. Do you know the theory about men and women and how many words they use each day? Nope, not me. My poor husband loves conversation. I can go for hours without saying a word. At camp, he’ll hear other campers laughing and chatting. I tell him to go play with his friends.

But somehow, at events, I put on my outgoing persona. I become a different person. Are you an author who has been reluctant to participate in in-person events? Don’t be. They are fun. Other writers are supportive, and you’d be surprised at the readers who want to talk to a real author.

If someone is coming to an event, they are your people. Otherwise, they’d be somewhere else. So I recommend a few things.

1.   Get out of the chair and stand in front of your setup. You can’t hide. We see you, silly.

2.   Get a hook. It can be as easy as “What type of book do you like?” I go a little farther. My above-mentioned hubby often goes with me and hands out bookmarks. When I see someone carrying them, I’ll call over, “So you met my trophy husband.” Great ice breaker.

3.   Have more than books. I hand out chocolate and lifesavers. Bookmarks are great and put your name in someone’s hands. Sometimes readers are just as introverted as we are. But if you have something that interests them, they’ll look you up later.

4.   Put a QR code on prominent display. This makes it easy for readers to find you.

5.   Wear comfortable shoes. (Last time, mine came off halfway through the day.)

6.   Set up a game to interact.

7.   Have a newsletter signup.

8. If possible, have an assistant. Desi is my go-to girl, and when I'm talking to someone or have to leave the table, she grabs the reins and does a stellar job.



For readers.

1.   Authors love you.

2.   They want to interact with you.

3.   You don’t need to feel obligated to buy a book just because you speak with us.

4.   If it’s a multi-author event, do it like a buffet. Go through and grab some bookmarks or business cards. Scan  QR codes. See what’s out there. Then, circle back. You’re sure to have missed something the first time around. But then you can also revisit the writers and books who caught your attention.

5.   Some events have reusable bags to give out but bring your own if you’re unsure. Most authors give away “swag,” and you’ll need a place to stash it.

Disclaimer* 
It was a rainy day, and my hair was much nicer when I left the house.

6.   Wear comfortable shoes, especially if it’s a big event.

7.   Most of all, whether you are a participant or an attendee, have fun!


Here are a few places I'll be this year. I hope to see some of you.

June 10th - Passaic County Book Festival
11:00 am - 4:00 pm Saturday, June 10, 2023
Weasel Brook Park, Clifton, NJ


Until next month wisdom from Winnie the Pooh
“You can’t stay in your corner of the Forest waiting for others to come to you.
You have to go to them sometimes.”


No comments: