Tuesday, February 23, 2010

In Praise of Nerds

So my two year old was walking through the house yesterday holding a balloon my husband had given to me for Valentine’s Day. It’s shaped like a heart and it says I LOVE YOU on it. Very cute. He’s talking to himself and saying things like ‘This balloon (sounding a lot like Baoon in his two year old speak) is for Mama. This Balloon is for Maw-Maw (my mother in law). This balloon is for Uma (My Mother.) It was so cute. He really wanted to give his I Love You Balloon (and somehow even though it was my balloon, it is now his balloon. LOL) to all of the women in his life that he loves.

This isn’t necessarily related to this post. I just thought it was a cute story.

My blog today is about fixing the bad boys. When we read these books—and especially the Paranormals because in the Paranormals we are adding an element of what is standardly thought of as evil and making it what some might call good or heroish—we know right off the bat that most of these guys are not upstanding young men on the right path in life. (I mean how did they get bit my that Vamp in the first place…)

But in my current WIP (that’s Work in Progress for those of you who don’t speak writer) my hero is a bit of a nerd. Unlike his brothers, he’s not always darting out into fights or trying to kill the bad guy.

So my question for all of you out there is how do you feel about nerds and have you ever read one in a book that you really liked?

Best to all of you

RR

5 comments:

J Hali Steele said...

You always ask the hard questions. Hmm...I'm thinking...does Superman count? Didn't read it but, dang, that was a sexy nerd!

Annie Nicholas said...

I am a self proclaimed nerd. I have embraced my inner geekdom.

My most favorite nerd is my oldest son who would rather play video games about genetics than fighting or watch documentaries about the evolution of the world than cartoons. LOL

My favorite nerd in a book would HAVE to be Eric from the Omegas, the reluctant werewolf Alpha of the pansies of the paranromal who has to fight a dominating pack.
Go Underdog!

Chandra Ryan said...

I don't think I've read a book where the hero was a nerd, but I must confess, I always fall for them in real life. I don't think I've ever dated a man who didn't roll play at one point in their life and they've all known what they were doing behind a computer. So yeah, I think nerds are sexy.

Sandra Sookoo said...

My favorite nerd is Flynn from the Librarian series on TNT. Yeah, it's not a book, but I think it still counts :-)

Unknown said...

Hi Rebecca!
Hmmmm. Favorite nerd...
I'll have to pick Charlaine Harris' Aurora Teagarden.
:)
Great post!