Friday, February 26, 2010

If I could...

Skate. Ice skate to be exact. I did years and years (and years!) ago when I volunteered with the Special Olympics. When I think of how excited I was when I did little twists and turns and I really thought I was something when I mastered skating backwards (keep in mind that some of the Olympians I worked with were already running circles around my butt!)

Well, as I watched women's figure skating finals for the Vancouver 2010 Winter Olympics last night, the respect I have for these athletes rose to new heights! Not that I have not noticed it before because Ice skating is my favorite part of the Winter Olympics with Ice Dancing being my all-time fav. However, I’m not going to talk about that here today. I missed the powerful music this year! What can I say...

Let me say thisKim Yu-Na. The young woman from South Korea is phenomenal and her scores proved it to the world. If you didn't see this event, find it, watch it--you won't be disappointed!


(photo credit: Dimitar Dilkoff/AFP/Getty Images)

Then there was Mao Asada representing Japan. She skated an excellent program.
(photo credit: AFP/Getty Images)
And enough cannot be said for Joannie Rochette from Canada. The courage, the poise this young woman showed under the circumstances was awe inspiring. Her mother would have been proud. Her father watched from the stands with tears in his eyes.
(photo credit: Yuri Kadobnova/AFP/Getty Images)
4th place went to Mirai Nagasu. She is only 16! It was her first Olympics and I think the United States has a true winner here. This youngster is on her way up.
(photo credit: Yuri Kadobnova/AFP/Getty Images)
Rachael Flatt, another United States skater is 17 and was concerned about an essay that was due for school! Again, one to watch.
(photo credit: Yuri Kadobnova/AFP/Getty Images)
Kim Yu-na, South Korea - GOLD, Mao Asada, Japan - SILVER, Joannie Rochette, Canada - BRONZE
(photo credit: Cameron Spencer/Getty Images)
Ahh, if I could skate...
Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-© J. Hali Steele

3 comments:

Annie Nicholas said...

Skating is my fav sport to watch too. I routed so much for that Canadian girl! It breaks my heart.

Annie Nicholas said...

Skating is my fav sport to watch too. I routed so much for that Canadian girl! It breaks my heart.

J Hali Steele said...

That was sad, but she did her mom proud!