Thursday, February 2, 2012

Get in the Zone

Last weekend, my husband and I had a rare kid-free weekend. So we carted ourselves out to dinner (twice, actually) and spent some time talking about things that weren't related to the kiddo. Though, we did talk about a few things related to in the aspect of her healing time/plan the doctor has in place and how we'll miss all the hectic St Pat's madness because she's not been released from doctor care yet). Mostly we talked about our jobs. For me that's one extra to talk about. :^)

During the course of the conversation, I mentioned I hadn't done any writing lately where I just up and disappeared from the world, nearly a year. I refer to it as "zone" writing where my brain just goes and I'm simply left to follow. More often than not, I don't even know what I've written during this time until I snap out of it. I have to go back and see what I've written because I don't remember. As odd as this is, it's actually something I love doing because 9 times out of 10 anything I write during that time is spot on. Not editing-wise, surely, but as far as characterization and plot, I rarely have to change anything.

Well...turns out it's back. I've lost count of how many pages I've turned out over the past several days. Though I have to say, my hand is killing me because it's all been longhand (I'm away on a business trip and oddly enough, I don't touch my computer a lot when I'm away even though it's with me). But I'm not complaining--at all. So, Adam's book is coming along nicely (for those unfamiliar with him, he made a brief appearance in Ragged Edge last summer).

No comments: