Is pumpkin the new black in the cooking world?
Nothing says Fall then the smell of apples of baking but in the last few years pumpkin spiced everything has crept into the spot light. No complaints from me. What’s so great about pumpkin? Because it’s easy to make tasty, HEALTHY foods from it. Yes, I used the H-word.
Here’s one of my favorites. You can make them in muffin tins for portion control or easy packing for lunches.
- 2 cups sugar
- 1 can (15 ounces) solid-pack pumpkin
- 1 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1/2 cup egg substitute
- 3-1/3 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 2 teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg or allspice
- 1 cup chopped nuts or raisins, optional
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, pumpkin, applesauce and egg substitute; mix well. Combine the flour, cinnamon, baking soda, baking powder, salt and nutmeg; gradually add to pumpkin mixture and mix well. Stir in nuts or raisins if desired. Pour into two 8-in. x 4-in. loaf pans coated with cooking spray. Bake at 350° for 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick inserted near the center comes out clean. Cool for 10 minutes before removing from pans to wire racks. Yield: 2 loaves (14 slices per loaf).
One serving (1 slice) equals 122 calories, 0.55 g fat (0.55 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 149 mg sodium, 28 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein. Diabetic Exchanges: 1-1/2 starch.
(Yes, you read that right. 0.5g of fat per serving and only 122 calories.)
This recipe is from Taste of Home. Here’s a link: http://www.tasteofhome.com/recipes/low-fat-pumpkin-bread
AVAILABLE OCT. 21st
Nosferatu rule from the shadow and keep order over their bloodthirsty people. If a law is broken, they have only one punishment. Death. They are the most powerful clan in the Vampire Nation and the most monstrous. Only a male vampire can be transformed into a Nosferatu, but not all survive.
Connie Bence is on the run with her two lovers, Rurik and Tane. As leader of the Nosferatu, Tane’s only threat is his own clansmen, and they want all three of them dead. When Rurik began to lose his hair, rumors spread, and the Nosferatu accuse Tane of trying to transform Rurik into one of them illegally.
With the Nosferatu on their heels, Connie tries to figure out what’s changing Rurik and cure him before she loses him to blood lust.
CH.1 EXCERPT: http://annienicholas.blogspot.com/p/release-ch-1.html
Keep up with Annie's books, contests, and blog tours with her Newsletter: http://eepurl.com/yt8Kv