Saturday, December 21, 2013

Christmas Songs!


Hallo everyone!

It's Holiday time again, and today I'm gonna talk about my favorite and least favorite part of the Holidays. Unlike most folks, I can't seem to get myself worked up too much about stores starting Christmas in October. I'm also not that worried about the commercialization of the Holidays. Both of those are just stores doing what stores are going to do; try to sell stuff.

Nope, for me my favorite part of the Holidays is the music. I listen to a lot of music on the radio, and when I start to hear songs about Christmas, I know it's time for some of my favorites to get some air time. Of course, some of the stations take it a bit too far; we've had a pair of local stations who started playing nothing but Christmas music back in October. They just skipped the spooky Halloween music entirely and jumped straight to endless renditions of 'Little Drummer Boy' and 'Do You Hear What I Hear'. Needless to say, I kinda avoided those two until this week.

Now, while I love Holiday music, I do get tired of it quick, because my favorites almost never get air time. Which are those, you ask? Glad you did! I've got not only a list of my top five, but also the list of my least favorite five, the ones that get played and played and played until I want to rip my radio out. They don't even have the vague top forty excuse of being 'new'.

My favorite five:

5. 'Santa Baby' - every pop tart ever (I have a weakness for pop tarts)

4. 'The Chanukah Song', both versions - Adam Sandler at his most tolerable ("What a funky, badass Jew")

3. 'Christmas Rapping' - The Waitresses (I can't help it. It makes me smile.)

2. 'Christmas Eve / Sarajevo' - Trans Siberian Orchestra (Used to get played a lot, but I've heard it ONCE this year. Also, it rocks mightily.)

1. 'The Closing of the Year' - Wendy & Lisa (Have you heard it? It is just fantastic)

My least favorite five:

5.'The Christmas Shoes' - NewSong (I'm allergic to glurge)

4. 'Do They Know Its Christmas' - Band Aid 1984 (Glurge plus a gazillion hearings, and message aside the song wasn't that good to start with)

3. 'Do You Hear What I Hear' - every singer ever (HOW many times do I have to hear this?)

2. 'Little Drummer Boy' - every singer ever (Apparently not quite as many times as I've heard this.)

1. 'The Turkey Song' - Adam Sandler (Adam at his most Adam-y)

So. Those are mine. What are yours? Tell me in the comments!

Until next time - Robert

No comments: