Friday, December 27, 2013

From the Archives: Sobek The Crocodile God Answers Questions

VS sez: Pulled this from the archives to inspire myself, since I'm working on the sequel to this novel right now, in December 2013. The new book is MAGIC OF THE NILE, scheduled for a late January/early February release, and involves Tyema, the younger sister of Merys, who was the heroine of the PRIESTESS novella from Carina Press. Which was my first ever published story!

Over on my own blog, I love to answer series of questions from various magazines - hey, I may not be a celebrity but I can have fun with the answers too! I thought for this month's blog here I'd have Sobek the Crocodile God from my novella Priestess of the Nile  take a stab at a few of the questions from the Proust Questionnaire, used in various forms by various magazines and TV interview shows.

What's your idea of perfect happiness? Listening to Merys, my beloved, sing some of my favorite songs from the olden days of Egypt.

What is the trait you most deplore in yourself? I really had to struggle to understand human problems, to have empathy for their concerns.

What is your favorite journey? Traveling the length of the Nile, from the source in the mountains to the lush delta at the mouth. A beautiful river, giver of life to Egypt!

Which talent would you most like to have? To dance. I'm not light on my feet in human form, although I can move with lightning speed as a crocodile.

What's your favorite occupation? Other than spending time with Merys, I enjoy cleaning up the Nile after a major sandstorm, eliminating sand bars that prevent her waters from flowing freely to the fields. On the rare occasions that I have to protect Pharaoh from black magic attacks, now that's a satsifying day.

What is your most treasured possession? I really don't have or need possessions, being a god, but I can tell you the humans greatly desire my tears, which I rarely shed, but when I do, they become emeralds and are said to bring good fortune.

What is your most marked characteristic? (Sobek laughs.) Other than being able to turn into a thirty foot crocodile? Loyalty.

What words or phrases do you most overuse? Well, since we're in polite company here, I'll go with "Set's teeth", which I do often say!

What is the quality you like most in a man? Honor. Keeping his word once he's given his oath.

What do you value most in your friends? We've known each other for a long time - eons, since the creation of all things - and they'll always tell me when I'm making mistakes.

What is it you most dislike? People who lie. Both the world of the gods and the world of Ancient Egypt where I exist are based on the concept of ma'at - order, law, morality, justice. Lady Ma'at, the goddess who personifies these ideals, works continuously to prevent the universe from falling back into chaos. She was a very good friend to my beloved Merys and me at a critical moment, presenting the truth of an issue so strongly that even Isis couldn't deny the situation.

Do you have a favorite motto or quote? There's this from a harper's song: "Follow your heart as long as you live."  I did that when I fell in love with Merys.


VS sez Thank you, Sobek! Looking forward to seeing you again in the not too distant future...

PRIESTESS OF THE NILE is available  at Amazon Barnes & Noble Carina Press All Romance

The story:
Drawn to his abandoned temple on the banks of the Nile by an enchanting song, Sobek the Crocodile god is even more captivated by the sight of the singer herself. Appearing to her as a man, he learns she is Merys, a descendant of his last priestess. Though filled with lust, Sobek believes Merys deserves to be more than just his mistress. But the rules that govern the Egyptian pantheon forbid anything beyond a physical joining of a Great One and a human.
Merys is attracted to the handsome stranger, who arouses passions in her that no man ever has. But with no dowry and no hope of ever leaving her village, she dares not dream of the future—or love.
Sobek takes every opportunity to visit Merys, taxing his resolve to leave her pure. And when he saves her life, their mutual desire must be sated. But can a love between a human and an immortal survive the ultimate test of the gods?








2 comments:

Nicole Luiken said...

Ooh, are there more Egypt books coming?

Sam Beck said...

Fun interview. I don't often find myself drawn to an ancient Egyptian crocodile/God!