Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Paranormal Playlists

I'm one of those writers who usually likes to listen to music when I'm writing. I also craft playlists for my books that help me get into the world when it's time to write or do revisions. And every book usually ends up having it's own song. That one song on the playlist that just becomes inextricably linked with the book in my head.

Sometimes it's difficult, though, to find the right music for a given book. Today, I thought it might be fun to play you guys some of the songs that evoke a paranormal/fantasy feel to me.

"The Lady of Shallott"--Loreena McKennitt


I love McKennitt's voice. All of her stuff is really good for writing. This song in particular puts me right in a world of knights and fair ladies. Dragons and daring deeds to be done. Also, it's really pretty. :)

"Go Big or Go Extinct"--Ramin Djawadi (Pacific Rim soundtrack)


Now for something totally different. This is the kind of music you play when you need your characters to kick a little ass. I love this whole score. (In fact, I just love Pacific Rim period.)

"I'd Lie For You and That's the Truth"--Meatloaf


This one is more for a wild, Indiana Jones-esque adventure type of fantasy. But I love it. And the video is ridiculous amounts of fun. This was the "love theme" for my latest time travel story which is, funnily enough, a twisty, romantic, action adventure story.

"Gunpowder and Lead"--Miranda Lambert

Now this is the song you play when you need some inspiration for your kick ass, take no BS urban fantasy heroine. 

"I See Fire"--Ed Sheeran (From The Hobbit: The Desolation of Smaug)
 

"If this is to end in fire, Then we should all burn together...If we die, we shall all die together..."
Ugh, I LOVE this song. LOVE. IT. I suspect it will become "the song" for the Robin Hood story I want to write. I love all the Lord of the Rings music, but this is probably my favorite from any of the movies.

What about you guys? When you're reading do certain books have "soundtracks" in your head? Do you have any favorite music that just screams paranormal/SF/F to you? Share in the comments! :D

Ta,
Beth Matthews
website
facebook
tumblr

p.s. If any one is interested in the playlists I did for my books, I wrote about that a little bit before on my own blog:
Heir to the Underworld playlist
The Beauty's Beast playlist

4 comments:

Beth Caudill said...

I have a few Loreena McKennitt songs in my playlists. I have all of Enya's cds so I usually add two or three of those to my playlists.

Another song to check out would be the Game of Thrones Theme - here is one version http://youtu.be/czjokOkOMpY

Awesome fantasy tunes.

Beth Matthews said...

I adore Loreena McKennit and Enya. They are VERY good for getting in that fantasy mood when I need to write.

Ooh. I do like that Game of Thrones theme. Ramin Djawadi is the composer for that show right? I have a bunch of his stuff. I'm addicted to movie scores. :)

J Hali Steele said...

Enjoyed this! I have a whole list of songs I associate with characters! Love Enya, I'm a BIG Enigma fan.

Beth Matthews said...

Oh yes. Enigma. I quite enjoy them. :) Especially their song "Always."