|Picture Courtesy Pixabay Creative Commons|
By Maureen L. Bonatch
“Insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.” – Albert Einstein
One of the most overused quotes, yet most of us continue to ignore the message. Perhaps that’s because most people like to be comfortable and don’t like change…even if it might be good for them.
“Progress is impossible without change, and those who cannot change their minds cannot change anything.”
– George Bernard Shaw
Yet when you read almost any book, there is always either an internal or external change involved with the character. No one wants to read a book about someone who never experienced any change or growth. We’d be turning the pages waiting for the “black moment” or the “Inciting incident” and all we’d find would be more of the same.
So why not write your own story of growth and progress for 2017?”
Calling all Writers
· AutoCrit & Grammarly
o I’ve been complaining (to myself, and anyone who would listen) about my endless editing process forever. This is one of the reasons why I have manuscripts piled up waiting for edits—until I decided no more excuses.
o I stopped editing the way I always have and invested in new programs to change my process—so far it seems quicker, and better already.
What about you? Does Your Editing Process Need Tweaking?
o I must admit, I haven’t explored this yet, but I’ve wanted to try it for years. I’m not sure why I waited so long (procrastination! Ack- change!) just to look at it. This year I’ll discover if I’m a Scrivener lover or hater.
Any Scrivener Lovers or Haters Here?
· Text to Speech
o As a Mac user I’ve had it all along—who knew?! It’s so much more effective than trying to read through my manuscript.
Your Home & Health
|Photo Courtesy Pixabay Creative Commons|
I think I’ve chased every diet and fad for most of my adult life. Only one program has ever worked for me, so I went back to it last year, and if I stick with it, it works.
1. Physical Health
· The Bad news= there is no magic pill to lose weight.
· The Good News= Weight Watchers works- if you are ready to commit (don’t ask me about December- but I’m recommitted today!)
· As for exercise, I blathered on about my treadmill desk last month, so I won’t bore you with that. Check that info out here.
Brace Yourselves. January= a million diet & exercise commercials.
2. Keeping Your House Healthy
· Are You an Organization geek, like me? Check out some of the cool stuff I’ve come across on Pinterest here
· Overwhelmed with emails? Especially after the holidays when everyone wants your email address? You know you don’t want any more emails, but can’t resist the lure of those treasured coupons! Check out this site to unsubscribe from a bunch at once.
· Because I spend far too much time in cyberspace, if you follow my blog, I try to share tips like these that I’ve come across at least once a month or more.
3. Keeping Your Mind Healthy- Never Stop Learning
|Photo Courtesy Pixabay Creative Commons|
They say keeping your mind active and engaged helps keep you young. With the plethora of online courses, there is no excuse not to keep exploring new things.
I admit, I love online classes and have taken a lot, but last year, I ventured into Freelance Writing.
· You say there’s no time to cram one more thing into your busy day? Here’s some tips I shared on how to find some extra time in your day.
· Interested in Freelance Writing yourself? (P.S. This is an affiliate link, but only cause I loved the course!) Here is the course I took- 30 Days or Less to Freelance Success
· If you love Pinterest Gina also has a new course on becoming a Virtual Assistant for Pinterest. I’ve not tried this course- but I’ve found all of Gina’s courses/info to be very helpful & Pinterest seems to be hot right now so thought I’d share it. (Also- an affiliate link)
I hope you’ve found something to inspire you to make that change you’ve been considering for the new year. Write your own story and be the heroine you know yourself to be!
What Are Your Plans for the New Year? Do You Make Goals and/or Resolutions?
One of my writing goals for the Month of January is to use my new tools and tricks to finish edits on Book #2 of The Enchantlings Series entitled Not A Chance.
Here’s a little about my first book in The Enchantlings Series- Destiny Calling
Guess What? I
changed updated the blurb a little :)
When the woman who raised Hope is murdered by something not human, Hope loses the only family she knows and discovers one she might wish she never met. With a touch that can make the desperate hopeful, Hope is the answer.
The only question is if she can deal with sibling rivalry, accept that entities feeding off despair exist, and determine if Griffith is the man of her dreams, or not at all what he seems.
Maureen Bonatch dreamt of becoming a Solid Gold Dancer. When the show ended, she followed other paths. Surviving motherhood to twins (so far) gave her the confidence to take belly dancing, declare herself a tequila connoisseur and act as biker babe with her alpha hubby.
Maureen grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four seasons—biking, sweat pants, hockey and hibernation—kept her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu keeps her in line.