Tuesday, August 4, 2020

Making Your Home Your Happy Place

By Maureen Bonatch

A photo from one of my bicycle rides
The summer is traditionally the time for vacations and our family has went on a vacation almost every year—except this year. COVID-19 had us cancelling our plans and opting to stay at home. Except that I am subjected to ‘memories’ of my past vacations almost daily on my social media sites, and photos of other people’s vacations as a constant reminder of what I’m missing. I have to admit, it makes me a little jealous.

Many people talk about their ‘happy place’ where they go to escape the everyday, reduce stress, or just to slow down and reflect. Lucky for me, I started to incorporate some of the key elements of my ‘happy place’ into my home and habits over the last few years so I don’t have to travel to find that place.

Your Home


When I returned from our vacation last year I worried that stress would resume once I returned to home. I considered the things that made me feel more at peace on vacation, because it isn’t always the place, and I have the people with me (my family), it’s often examining the little things in the environment.

·      I changed the centerpiece on our dining room table to replicate the one in our vacation place, which was more tropical and simple. Each time I see it my mind goes to our vacation memories and I feel more relaxed.
·      The ‘little niceties’ of vacation make it special for me—thick towels, fancy hand scrubs ,and nice dishes when dining out. I thought, what not do the same at home? I replaced some of our old towels and washcloths with plush ones, put a nice hand scrub in the bathroom, and use our nice dishes each day. This helps to make every day special.
·      Occasionally I go to a spa while on vacation and have a facial or massage. I bought face masks and other special bath soaps to enjoy a little ‘home spa’ time now and then.

Your Habits


The pace on vacation is slower and more relaxed. Sure I can’t replicate having each day to lounge, but I can implement some of the habits.

·      I make time at least a few times a week to sit on the porch in the early morning with my coffee. This fifteen-minute habit replicated from vacation evokes peace for the start of my day instead of feeling rushed.
·      Before a trip, I load up my kindle with new books and make more time to read. Instead of waiting for that trip, I now make an effort to incorporate more reading time into my day, even if it’s a ten minute break with my lunch, or before bedtime. Reading allows me to travel without ever leaving my home.
·      I take an occasional “mental health day” or plan a Staycation to enjoy at home or walking or bicycling in the outdoors. This little break from the daily pace and rush of life can be rejuvenating and refreshing.

Focus on You


Vacation is always a time that I spend as much time ‘living the dream’ of writing full time. We all get busy and sometimes our dreams and favorite hobbies get pushed to the back burner until we have time off to focus on ‘us’. I’ve made an effort to make the time to write more, and focus on me, even if it’s just a short period each day, and I’m happier for it.

 

What Vacation Habits Can You Incorporate Without Leaving Home?


Author Bio: Maureen Bonatch grew up in small town Pennsylvania and her love of the four seasons—hockey, biking, sweat pants and hibernation—keeps her there. While immersed in writing or reading paranormal romance and fantasy, she survives on caffeine, wine, music, and laughter. A feisty Shih Tzu keeps her in line. Find Maureen on her websiteFacebookTwitter

Be the first to know about Maureen’s book sales and new releases by following her on BookBub, Amazon and/or signing up for her newsletter

3 comments:

Diane Burton said...

I love this post, Maureen. Such little things can remind us of vacationing. I like the coffee outside in the morning. Right now, we're enjoying cool weather. But 88 degrees at 7am is not enjoyable. I don't know why I don't use my "good" dishes for everyday. What am I saving the for? Enjoy your staycation.

Samantha Bryant said...

What great advice for self care when vacation isn't possible. I'll try some of these! @samanthabwriter from
Balancing Act

Nancy Gideon said...

LOVE this! Especially now when every day is so monotonously the same - to make one or two moments special to celebrate self. If only I had that big soaker tub . . . Thanks for the reminder, Maureen.