Wednesday, July 1, 2009

Persistence--Can't Write Without It

“Nothing in this world can take the place of persistence. Talent will not; nothing is more common than unsuccessful people with talent. Genius will not; unrewarded genius is almost a proverb. Education will not; the world is full of educated derelicts. Persistence and determination alone are omnipotent. The slogan "press on" has solved and always will solve the problems of the human race” -- Calvin Coolidge

This week has been unusually hectic for me as a writer, and unusually stressful. Last Thursday, an idea for a short story gripped me, thanks to a seed planted by my CP. I stopped production on my WIP in order to deal with the surge of new words and wrote 20,000 words in three days to complete the short. Writing isn’t the stressful part—unless, of course, the words don’t come and a brick wall looms.

A few…well let’s call them opportunities have arisen this week in regards to my writing. Not really problems, exactly, so that’s why they’re opportunities. If the worst happens, then it’s a great opportunity to try something else. Hopefully, I’ll know soon. Another stumbling block? Got a rejection letter for a book I submitted. Not even a personal one. Just a form letter. Sorry, you’re not what we’re looking for. Did it hurt? Not so much anymore. I’m like, okay, whatever, moving on. It’s more of an annoyance than anything. But you can’t let grass grow under your feet or else nothing will get done.

“The most essential factor is persistence - the determination never to allow your energy or enthusiasm to be dampened by the discouragement that must inevitably come.” -- James Whitcomb Riley

What’s my point on this Hump Day morning? Persistence. It’s a writer’s best friend. Despite writing like a madwoman this week, receiving a rejection, hitting the mud puddle, temporarily stalling on the WIP, preparing a couple of manuscripts for submission, writing out blogs and interview questions, then resuming work on the WIP, I had keep writing. It’s the common denominator that pulls everything in my life together and keeps me grounded. Oh sure, this week I mopped the kitchen floor, vacuumed, emptied the stupid dishwasher too many times and laundry now looms, but I still try to fit time in to write.

But at least I got a decent haircut yesterday. Score one for me!

“I suppose my formula might be: dream, diversify, and never miss an angle.” – Walt Disney

So, it’s time for a deep breath and time to buckle down and Get Stuff Done.

Closing thought? Don’t give up. Ever. No matter what. Wanna know more behind my desire to succeed? Read my guest blog spot on You Gotta Reads (also posted today). http://yougottareadguest.blogspot.com/2009/07/overcoming-inertia.html

Thanks for reading and I dare you to write today!

9 comments:

Rebecca Royce said...

Sandi,
Your persistence always pays off beautifully because your work is always spectacular.

Best to you
Rebecca

J Hali Steele said...

You are a persistent critter - no pun intended. *grins* But truly, you get a lot done, lady!

Sandra Sookoo said...

Thanks ladies :-)

Chiron said...

Here's to persistence! Yup, I'm with you on that. Dreams can inspire us, but it's the persistence to make those dreams come true that results in success.

Well-done!

--Chiron O'Keefe
The Write Soul: www.chironokeefe.blogspot.com

Annie Nicholas said...

Persistance I have a lot of but patience *shudders* I lack in obundance.

When I first started writing seriously I researched some articles on succuessful authors and their experiences. One best selling writer, can't remember his name, said he would query every agent until there were no more before he placed something aside. It took him five years to get something published and now they want all his other stuff. Persistence.
Great post.

Sandy said...

Sandi,

I know exactly what you mean about those rejection letters. At some point, you have to become immune to them, or you would never be able to keep going.

Is persistence a synonym for stubborn? lol

Kathye Quick said...

You're absolutely right.

I think Thomas Edison said that most people miss oppotunities because they come dressed in overalls and look like work. Sounds like you didn't miss any.

And the good haircut, that's just a perk!

Anonymous said...

Great post, Sandi.

Persistance and imagination are the two most important things to a writer I think. Without either, you have no story. Maybe some words on paper but nothing more. One must persist to make the work the very best and the imagination to grab the reader's own imagination.

Again, great post!

Liena~

Sandra Sookoo said...

Thanks for stopping by Chiron! I'm glad to know you're a persistent writer also.

Annie--I'm afraid for me personally, I've let persistence in attracting an agent lag. Just don't have time for it right now, especially if all the doors are slammed shut to me right now. Maybe later I'll resume the hunt.

Sandy--Yup, no more tripping over rejection letters. Gotta keep moving in a forward motion!

Kathye--No matter what, I'm ready to work. Always writing.

Liena--Thanks for stopping by. Never give up. :-)