Friday, August 14, 2009

Mice...

I can't live without one. Writing, typing or just sitting at my computer, the right hand has the grip of death on the poor thing. I scoot it around, roll that little button thingy in the middle - you know, all the mousy things. I go through two or three a year. Is that a lot?

Yesterday saw the purchase of yet another one. Had an in depth conversation with the gentleman that worked at the local office supply store, and it wasn't EASY! (hint) He asked if I drop them. Let me say here that in the last year I've dropped one - it worked for another 4 or 5 months after it's unfortunate tumble through the wild blue yonder. The other two who met their demise this year never left the launching pad.

We discussed price, color (I had to have red) and design. I like them to have the little scoop for my index finger to rest in. I'm going to use names. The flying mouse was a Kensington. It was a tough bird, bruised and battered, it continued to function. But still, only 6, maybe seven, months of life. The Logitech was very short lived - 3 months at the most. HP, let's not go there!

Back to buying one. After much discussion, some prodding in its direction - it was the prettiest red - I left the store with my new mouse. Crafted with precision by Microsoft (the most expensive one in the store based on "you get what you pay for") and according to the guy I got advice from - the lion of the mouse world. Had 4 buttons, did this, did that, christsakes, it did everything, and may help me type! I'm impressed and grinning ear to ear. On my drive home, I'm smiling at everyone I pass, sitting on top of the world. I've got in my possession the mouse of all mice.

Anxious to get the nifty little contraption out of the package and take it for a test run, I grab my this-is-going-to-be-tough scissors. What is up with those plastic cartons? Opening the damn thing took major effort. Anyway, I'm all ready to go. Oh, wait, it needed a battery. Guess what? It came with one. Yippee! Because I was fresh out of double A size.

I located the little button underneath that unlocks the battery cover, I push, and there was the clicking sound of release. I'm almost there. I unsnap the cover to insert the battery.

The guts fell out.

Remember: Growl and roar-it's okay to let the beast out.-J. Hali Steele

6 comments:

Sandra Sookoo said...

LOL I go through 2 or 3 a year also. I'm hard on my mice :-) Had the Logitech. Total piece of crap. Currently using one from Microsoft. It's blue because they were out of the red ones (which would have match my phone and Zune) LOL But yeah, I'm incapable of using my laptop without a mouse LOL

Good luck!

Rebecca Royce said...

I'm on a laptop. I don't have one...I miss them. The guys fell out? LOL

Annie Nicholas said...

I hope you growled and roared and showed that salesman your beast!

J Hali Steele said...

Sandi, replaced the 'gutless' one with same model in red again - so far, so good.

Rebecca, couldn't use my laptop without a mouse. I even bought a mini mouse for my mini! LOL

Annie, he's still rubbing his butt I bet!

Sandy said...

LOL Joann, what are you doing to those poor mice? Mine last forever. I have a wireless Microsoft mouse that is silver and gray. I've had it three or four years now. All I have to do is change batteries every 5 or 6 months.

You are tough on your mice.

LM Spangler said...

Sorry this is late but I've been on vacation.

I have a Dell mouse that's been through hell and back and still works like a charm. I don't need a mouse because I use a laptop but it helps when playing solitaire :) We also have a Logitech that's losing its graphics but still works. I guess we've just been lucky!

Glad your replacement is working.

Liena~