Tuesday, December 22, 2009

Sandra Sookoo-Safe from the Flames


Hi Sandi, my fellow Paranormal Romantic, so fun to be interviewing you today!

I’m going to start out by telling everyone that I have read Safe From the Flames and it is Fantastic and that is not an exaggeration.

But for everyone who has not read it, can you tell me about it? And can we see an excerpt?

Blurb: Darren Kaestle wants nothing more than to do his job. Putting out fires and keeping the community safe is his idea of a good time until he finds an unconscious woman in an abandoned house fire. Only then does he get a glimpse of her paranormal abilities.

Hadyn Bernson has harbored anger and fear deep inside herself until it manifests in a rare phenomena. She can burst into flames whenever her emotions get out of control, and they threaten to do just that when she opens her eyes and finds a sexy firefighter staring back.

Together, these two people from opposite ends of the spectrum must find a way to settle their differences and quench the flames inside before the real terror of a dangerous blaze ends one, or both, of their lives.

Excerpt

“Ma’am, can you hear me?” Unwinding a green scarf from her head, masses of wavy red hair tumbled into his gloved hands. “Ma’am, are you hurt?” He yanked off his helmet, throwing it to the ground and did the same with the heavy gloves. He brushed his fingers over her cheeks, which were cool to the touch, and streaked with soot. “Talk to me.” Darren leaned closer and put an ear to her chest. Her heartbeat was strong and steady. Nothing like he would have expected from a woman who’d just been through a traumatic fire. He lifted his head, scanned the area for the EMTs “Medic!”

Relief surged through him as effective as a rush of air conditioning when she stirred. He always hated losing at the rescue game. Nothing crushed his spirit more than reaching a body and realizing they were dead upon arrival. When her gaze met his, it pinned him in depths so blue he could almost feel their coolness.

Time slowed down for him in that one moment, and it seemed that destiny barreled into him with the force of a Mack truck. He felt as if his entire life had been training for this moment, but he couldn’t explain why.

He shot to his feet when a couple EMTs arrived, jostling for position around the woman.

“Move Kaestle. We need to work.”

“She’s fine, no smoke inhalation, and no burns, just exhausted. Better keep an eye on her just in case.”

“Yeah, we got it. You did your job now let us do ours.”

Prick.

As he gazed down at her face, saw the splash of freckles over her cheeks and nose, he made a spur of the moment decision. Like the gut instincts that had saved his life countless times during countless jobs, that same unexplainable feeling told him this woman needed his help. He didn’t understand it, but there was no way in hell he would ignore it either.

Kneeling down, regardless of the annoyed looks from the medical personnel, he smoothed the sweaty hair back from her forehead. “What’s your name?” The pale flesh of her exposed midriff as her tank top rode up drew his gaze. He quelled the urge to touch her with less than professional attachment. Not appropriate, Kaestle. “Any identification?”

One of the EMT workers shook his head. “Nope.”

Darren frowned as his gaze raked the legs of her snug jeans. “What’s your name?” This time, his request was more forceful.

“Hadyn Bernson”

“Hi, Hadyn. I’m Darren. You’re gonna be just fine.”

Her fingers gripped his arm so hard he could feel them dig into his skin through the heaviness of his coat. “Please don’t take me to the hospital. They won’t understand what I am.” Her lips twitched as if she intended to smile, but then her eyelids fluttered closed and she fainted with a tiny sigh.

The first emergency worker detached her fingers from his arm. “Sorry, sir, we have to get her to the hospital now.”

“Sure. Sorry.” Darren stepped out of the way as the EMTs lifted her body onto a stretcher. “Which one? Which hospital?” Once he had the vital information, he nodded and promised himself he would drop by for a visit. He wanted to know why she was so adamant that she not end up under professional care.

Book video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Iy7z8xsRso

Where do you get your ideas?

Where do I not get my ideas? The great thing about being a writer is I have the opportunity to study life. People, events, places, conversations, everything and anything can inspire me. Sometimes I even get ideas from my husband, who’s developing a nice little sense of sexy humor since I’ve been writing. LOL

Tell me about your heroine. She’s been through a terrible ordeal but she’s still a strong woman. Who are the strong women that you base your female characters on?

My heroine, Hadyn, has had a huge run of bad luck in her life. Her family perished in a fire when she was young and every relationship she’s had has ended in disaster, namely because of her penchant for bursting into flames.

Strong women in my life? I can’t say that I can name one right off the top of my head. Most of the women I’ve known have been weak, co-dependent women who get on my last nerve. LOL

Without giving too much away, what are you working on now?

LOL Good grief, what am I not working on? Seems like I’m always working on something. But, since you asked, I’m finishing up a holiday-themed novella. After the first of the year, I plan to start the third paranormal novel in my trilogy.

What do you have coming out next?

I have a couple of really awesome releases coming down the pike. The Art of Fang Shui releases with Eirelander Publishing http://www.eirelander-publishing.com on January 8th, 2010. It’s a humorous, sexy vampire tale that’s unlike anything in that genre. And Angel’s Master releases January 11th, 2010 with Liquid Silver Books http://www.liquidsilverbooks.com. This is an ultra-sexy pirate tale with a paranormal twist at the end.

How is your muse doing these days? What is she like?

Think of my muse as the Energizer Bunny on steroids, who’s been pushing me into new directions and into new genres recently. As long as she keeps giving me ideas, I’ll let her continue her maniacal ways. I think she enjoys torturing me just to see how long I’ll last.

What do you do to combat writers block?

Well, that’s a funny thing. I don’t really suffer from writer’s block. Why? Probably because I’m a firm believer in outlining and plotting ahead of time. It keep my writing honest and on track. Sometimes the book takes an unexpected turn and that’s okay too. I simply re-outline. If I find myself hitting a wall on a piece, my solution to jump starting is to work on another piece, usually a novella. Most times I can knock out a novella in two weeks and after it’s over, I can get back to working on the full length book.

Let’s hope this works because I’ve got 3, possibly 4, full length books in the works for 2010. LOL

Thanks for being here with me. This was fun!

Thanks for having me!

Stop by my newly redesigned website for more information on book releases.

http://www.sandrasookoo.com

RR

9 comments:

Rebecca Royce said...

So fun interviewing you!

Sandra Sookoo said...

Thanks! :-)

J Hali Steele said...

Sandi, the energizer bunny has nothing on you! Congrats! on Safe From The Flames, it'll do well.

Anonymous said...

Great Interview! You are a new to me author and I have added Safe from the Flames to my TBR. I can't wait!!!

Lynn S. said...

Great interview, ladies! The heroine sounds interesting with her ability to self-combust!

Wishing you many sales, Sandi!

Sandra Sookoo said...

Thanks ladies :-) I hope you enjoy the book if you get it. I had a blast writing it!

Annie Nicholas said...

Sounds like a hot read.

carrie said...

Sounds great Sandi....I've still got to buy my copy yet...been slacking off! Bad carrie! =) love the excerpt and as always, love your writing!

carrie

Sandra Sookoo said...

It's pretty hot Annie ;-)

Thanks Carrie! I appreciate it :-) You'll have to let me know how you like it :-)