Wednesday, April 30, 2014

Paranormal Everlasting

When I was a teen I read gothic romances. Victoria Holt, Barbara Michaels. I especially love Barbara Michaels. Hers were spooky with nice sexual tension. Malevolent ghosts wrecking havoc and bringing a couple together...very near to the paranormal romances we now read. In those books the supernatural was the antagonist, evil forces, possession, the setting swamps, haunted mansions--and the library was full of them! I might have to read one again.

The TV show Dark Shadows played in the late afternoon at my house, and we would watch it with my dad, who would leave for work as a bartender after an early supper(Yes, back in those days a bartender could make a living, raise four kids, buy a house and even take vacations! But I digress...)



Then there was a smattering of vampires. I read all the Maggie Shayne books. Buffy the Vampire Slayer became my favorite television show. It was my show, my daughter were supposed to leave me in peace for that one hour a week(rarely happened) so I could enjoy it. The witty, amusing dialogue, deadly demons, hot vampire boyfriends...

I wrote children's books and Ellery Queen mysteries(all rejected) before Buffy. But with a computer I soon found fanfic, where Buffy's romantic woes would be cured! I started writing Buffy fanfic for the fun of it and then slid into paranormal romances.

What is it about supernatural characters that so holds my interest after all these years? I know part of it is the escape...My real world demons are so much more boring than something from the Underworld. Also, my demons tend to be around for years and years and eat up time and money. In a paranormal romance, the demon can be destroyed, if you are brave and lucky and have chosen the right partner.Sometimes circumstances make you feel helpless. It is refreshing to see Buffy grab the ax a little tighter and win the day.

By the way, there is a new Joss Whedon online show, a paranormal love story. I haven't seen it and note right now that love story doesn't equal romance. Still, I will watch it! inyoureyes.com  


1 comment:

Veronica Scott said...

Ooh, "Ammie Come Home" is still one of the spookiest books I've ever read and I LOVE it.