Wednesday, March 28, 2018

Paranormal Trilogies? What's the secret? By Barbara Edwards

I
’ve been working another three books for my Rhodes End paranormal series. It’s been slow going. Now I’m second-guessing my reasons for writing them before offering the next to my publisher. There’s a lot of chatter about  the best way to boost sales. Several authors mentioned that publishing books in close order seemed to have that effect. Instead of waiting months or longer for the next book, a reader could grab it within a couple months. 
Or this was the rational.
So what is the best way?
Has anyone done this?
Did it work?
I’m speaking a my local chapter on this topic and need some input.
Can you share your experience? 
I’ve been reading other trilogies. Nora Roberts writes some great stuff. She draws in the reader and keep the action moving. I’ve read all of her JD Robb books. Although they are set in a futuristic  world I’m not sure if they would be considered paranormal
Christine Feehan’s ‘Dark Series,’ were my first experience with her and I admit to buying her novels as they are available. Another bunch of ‘keepers’ to crowd my shelves although I’ve been switching to ebooks.
Please take a little time to respond to my questions.  I’d really like to know your opinions.


 Please follow, friend or like me. I love to hear from my readers.
Amazon Author’s Page http://www.amazon.com/-/e/B003F6ZK1A



4 comments:

Diane Burton said...

That's a good question, Barb. I don't have experience in releasing books in a series close together. Mine are usually a year or so apart, as fast as I can write them. I hope others can give some insight.

S.K. Dubois said...

Excellent questions, Barb, and I'll be following the discussion with interest. I'm finishing a trilogy which I think I mishandled because I've taken much too long between books. Life happens. On my dedication page, I put the old "Thanks to my family without whose help this book would have been published two years ago." My gut tells me three or four months between books should work, but as a reader I will wait years for a new book in a series and be happy with it (i.e. Outlander.) The last two in my trilogy will be out in fairly quick succession this year along with an anthology of shorts about my protagonist. We'll see how it goes.

Maureen said...

I know as a reader when I find an author I love I want the next book 'right now' but as an author, I'm too slow getting them out there. Partially my fault, partially the fault of the slow publishing process when my publisher.

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Readers do love to binge read. Good questions.