Thursday, September 13, 2018

Medical Futures by Diane Burton


I’m curious. Always have been. The oddest things can make me open Google and try to find out as much as I can about a new topic. For several years, I’ve subscribed to Space.com, EarthSky News, and Life Science—online newsletters about space and science (as if you couldn’t guess). So much info, so little time to read.


Recently, I found another newsletter called The Medical Futurist. That really piqued my interest. When I’m writing sci-fi romances and my characters are ill or injured in the future, I need to come up with some device that can heal them instantly, or as close to instant as possible. Or, if my characters are on a starship zooming through space for long periods of time, I have to figure out how they are going to eat. Even in the future, fresh food spoils.


In The Medical Futurist, I’ve learned about all sorts of down-the-road technology that is closer to reality than I thought. How about food replicators? You remember those from Star Trek and other science fiction films, don’t you? They must be fantasy or something way in the future. But, hold on a minute. We’ve heard of 3-D printers. So why not use them to create food? Since I’m not crazy about cooking but love to eat, I’m very interested. A company in Barcelona manufactures a device called Foodini, a 3-D food printer using fresh ingredients. It’s supposed to make it easier to eat healthy. The company estimates that in about 10-15 years everyone will have the device on their kitchen counter. I’d give anything for one now so I don’t have to think about what’s for dinner.


This week’s newsletter brought up a topic that is sure to help those who travel a lot. Right now, in my not-too-small town (but not a big city, either), my doctor is connected to the hospital, as are two urgent care facilities. If I go to Emergency or Urgent Care, they can bring up my whole medical history—the meds I take regularly, allergies, immunizations, etc. But, what if I’m traveling out of state or even out of the country and have a medical emergency? Not so easy to get the info the doctors need to treat me. In an emergency, time is of the essence. The longer they wait for the info, the greater the crisis.

Many of us wear a Fitbit or other fitness tracker that besides reporting the number of steps we’ve taken, measures our heartrate, sleep cycles, cardio fitness levels, etc. In the not-too-distant future, digital tattoos on our skin will reveal our medical history. Doctors will be able to monitor and diagnose critical health conditions like heart arrythmia, sleep disorders, and brain activities without invasive procedures. Let’s say a person has a high risk of stroke. The digital tattoo could send alerts and even call an ambulance and relay medical data. I don’t know about you, but I’m fascinated by this.


When we were first married, we lived next door to a little girl who had juvenile diabetes (type I diabetes). At that time, we were just hearing about a revolutionary device—a pump that would deliver insulin as the body needed it. Even though the pump is worn outside the body, it is connected by a tube under the skin. Invasive. South Korean researchers have developed sensors (worn on the skin like a tattoo) that measure the temperature and sweat of people with type II diabetes, analyses the data, and, if necessary, delivers insulin through a microneedle array. Less invasive than the pump.

As much as we love to watch and/or read science fiction, let’s face it. We’re looking at our future. The more writers dream up ways to prevent or cure illnesses, the more scientists will try to make it happen. I’m amazed at what the future holds.

What other things might the medical future have in store?

12 comments:

Maureen said...

I'm always fascinated by technology. Many things we are familiar with today may have been seen as 'sorcery' or 'witchcraft' ages ago. I still can't figure out a fax machine or microwave, let alone all these things, lol. Great post!

Margo Hoornstra said...

A fascinating topic, that's for sure. You're right in that so much of what we saw on programs like Star Trek and the like have become reality. We went to Epcot Center in the 1990s, and one of the exhibits depicting the future showed family members talking to each other, face to face and on screen, via computers. Can you say FaceTime? Do it with my grand kids all the time. Who'd of thought it? The electronic medical records systems can be lifesaving. Now to just get all the medical care facilities on the same technological page. Thanks for sharing.

Alina K. Field said...

Another great post, Diane! As my husband deals with his failing aortic valve, we're praying that he can have a replacement done through the blood vessels, a procedure that wasn't being done ten years ago but is now the standard of care. God bless the doctors and scientists who develop these procedures!

Diane Burton said...

Maureen, you are so right. Even antibiotics weren't invented until the 1940s. Now they're common place. Fascinating advances.

Diane Burton said...

Margo, you made me think of 2001: A Space Odyssey with face-to-face communication. Now we do it all the time. Thank goodness, when your grandkids are far away.

Diane Burton said...

Alina, prayers for your husband. It is amazing how far science and technology has come. My sister has a pacemaker/defibrillator. Not only does it shock her when her heart fails but contacts the medical monitoring system that calls her and her doctor.

Pamela S Thibodeaux said...

Wow....what an interesting post! I can't even imagine LOL.
Great topic.
Good luck and God's blessings
PamT

Nightingale said...

Fascinating stuff!

Nancy Gideon said...

Science is SO cool!! Remember when we thought James Bond's jet pack was total SciFi!!

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Pam. It's a good thing scientists have good imaginations.

Diane Burton said...

Thanks, Linda. I could lose myself in research. Fascinating, indeed.

Diane Burton said...

I remember that jetpack, Nancy. And Spock's tricorder? It's amazing hows science fiction can become reality.