Tuesday, September 25, 2018

Starting All Over Again . . . by Nancy Gideon


Decades ago, I never conceived that in my 60's I’d have to do a life makeover . . . not just once, but twice (this, since rebuilding from divorce 10 years ago). Moving across the state after an unexpected job loss to live with my widowed sister, searching for work after holding the same job for 15 years, going on . . . unemployment. Then finding the perfect fit in the law office of my dreams only to have that disappear with the sudden retirement of both attorneys, last day – tomorrow! Adrift, with that healthcare premium looming, what do I do? Hang it up (not old enough for Medicare) . . . or jump back into the fray? The phrase “I’m too old for this sh*t” threatens to become my new mantra.

Ending my “House of Terriot” dark shapeshifter series is the emotional drop of the other shoe. With the release of PRINCE OF DREAMS next week, on October 2, I’m saying good-bye to the family of brothers I fell in love with quite by accident . . . enough so, to create a four-book spin-off series. With my “HoT” files quiet for the first time in three years (almost the same number as the recent job), I’m not sure what to do with myself. Do I have enough energy and enthusiasm left in the ole creative brain pan? It feels like there was so much left . . . unfinished, with both the books and the job.


How can I disagree with such an eloquent argument?

This weekend at a writers’ retreat on Lake Michigan, I’m opening new files – titled RISE BY MOONLIGHT. Resume created. Job search begun. Interview the day after Release Day. Starting all over again . . . rough, exhausting, daunting, but doable. And . . . exciting.



I guess you’re as old as you feel, and I’m beginning to feel a bit frisky just thinking about hooking up with Max Savoie again (and we haven’t seen the last of those Terriot boys, either!).

Encourage me with your own Starting Over triumphs . . .

♚♚♚♚♚

Nancy Gideon on the Web


4 comments:

Maureen said...

Wow, you've had a lot of experience with starting over. I'm sorry to hear you have to do it again, and not by choice, but perhaps reflect on your successful past transitions to give you strength.

Francesca Quarto said...

Nancy, you are a super woman in my opinion! I know you can hit the floor running on this newest challenge. A new firm will get a bright, energetic, and very loyal staff person in you! All the best in your search and finding the perfect fit for your many talents!
Hugs along that road!

Francesca Q.

Nancy Gideon said...

Thanks, ladies!!

Diane Burton said...

You are a strong woman, Nancy. Rising above adversity is so hard--as we both know. When the bottom of my life fell out and I had to quit writing, the industry moved on. When I came back, i was older than you are now, and I had to learn about social media and self-publishing. Overwhelming. Was I too old? Nope. I bit the proverbial bullet and learned from the wonderfully supportive writing community. Friends gave me the boost to keep going. Your friends are cheering for you, supporting you as, once again, you rise to the challenge. Enjoy the weekend! I'm looking forward to what's next for you.