Sunday, October 14, 2018

Bonito & Furbaby Friday

I had to write a post recently for Beth Trissel's Furbaby Friday.  Since I no longer have pets, it was easy to travel back in time to the 80s and 90s of the previous century to choose my favorite of all time.  There was also no contest though many contenders. I've been fortunate to have many lovely animals share my life with me, but my hands-down favorite is my Andalusian stallion Bonito VIII.

In the fall of 1980, the same year my son was born, I purchased this 4-year-old stallion who knew much more than I did about the high school movements (going sideways, dancing in place, turning on a hind leg at the canter) and I had to learn quickly to catch up.  I think it took me 10 years.  :-)

I won't go into infinite detail about the Andalusian (as I am wont to do) because this post will become volumes.  The Andalusian was known as the Horse of Kings because most crowned heads of Europe preferred the breed in the Baroque period.  Some of the most famous paintings are Charles I of England on Andalusian steeds painted by Van Dycke. 


Today, my post on Bonito on Furbaby Friday will be live.  I hope you will visit us and learn more about him and the magnificent breed.


My novel about horses and life in the glittering world of competition is now available on audio. Gambler's Choice is a romantic suspense.  A Virginia socialite and an English Baron go head to head and foot to foot over the ownership of a very special stallion in the world of three-day eventers.  Free with your Audible.com subscription.  Gambler's Choice.



Enjoy your Saturday and don't make any butt prints in the sand!  :-)  Unless you're on a sandy beach with a pina colada in your hand.  (Be sure it has one of those cute little umbrellas).

If you are interested in the Andalusian or Lusitano breed, more information is available here:
 

2 comments:

Maureen said...

Enjoyed the post!

Diane Burton said...

So interesting. When I read Mary Stuart's Airs Above the Ground, I was fascinated by the complicated maneuvers horses from the Spanish School can do. I was fortunate to watch the Lipizzaner stallions perform. Their moves sound like the same moves your horse does. Amazing. Thanks so much for sharing.