Sunday, November 18, 2018

Not Another Boring Turkey Casserole--Thanksgiving Leftovers that Rock! by Elizabeth Alsobrooks


My hubs love, love, loves Thanksgiving dinner. Loves it and eats it multiple times a year.  We regularly have a turkey in the freezer. He’s so obsessed with it from his childhood that he makes his mom’s special secret stuffing recipe and makes a special basting sauce. He only lets me make the gravy, deviled eggs and salad.  Yes, I’m his sous-chef de Thanksgiving cuisine. I’m not even going to pretend I don’t think that’s super dandy.

However, when it comes to leftovers, he’s strictly a heat it up a couple days and then toss it kinda guy. Keep in mind that he, “talked myself out of getting the 20 lb as I knew that was too big for just the two of us” (my kids live out of state). “That’s good, hon. So what size did you get?” “I just got an 18 lb one.”

So now I am already thinking about leftovers, and I am not a huge fan of leftovers, but I’m also not a huge fan of turkey.  I mean, I like it okay, but I’m not a die-hard fanatic like hubs. I’m also not a fan of throwing out half a turkey.  That mean, unless I want to eat turkey soup or chili or lasagna of casserole a la boring, I have to get creative. 

For those of you who are tired of the same old thanksgiving leftover recipes, you’re in luck. I think I found some good ones!  Take a look and let me know what you think!


THANKSGIVING LEFTOVERS STROMBOLI




Turkey-and-Spinach Wraps with Cranberry-Walnut-Cream Cheese Spread




Turkey Milanese

Leftover turkey breasts are fried to a golden crisp and topped with leftover turkey gravy and mushrooms. Make it a complete meal by serving it with a side salad of arugula and blue cheese.


Grilled Turkey, Brie, and Apple Butter Sandwich with Arugula

The ultimate next-day comfort food: turkey, brie, arugula and apple butter are sandwiched between two pieces of rye bread to create a grilled cheese sandwich you'll crave year-round.




Turkey Waldorf Salad--Which Would be Good with Cranberry Dressing, too!



Have a HAPPY THANKSGIVING everyone!


And don't forget to get my BLACK FRIDAY release of 
The Young Adult Writer's Journey

The Kindle will be having some special treats from 
Nov. 23-Dec. 3








5 comments:

Maureen said...

Congrats on your new release!
We always have a 'thanksgiving casserole' the day after in which we layer most everything from thanksgiving dinner in a casserole dish (turkey, potatoes, cranberries, stuffing, beans- or whatever we've got- and bake it. I might like it better than Thanksgiving, lol

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

That would certainly be easier. My problem is I don't care much for casseroles. But I do think putting gravy over everything and adding the sweetness of the cranberries has its charm.

Diane Burton said...

I like those recipes. Unfortunately, I won't be having any leftovers since we're going to our daughter's. While I like not having to do all the work, I miss the leftovers. Congrats on your Black Friday release!

Nancy Gideon said...

My son is a turkaholic so leftovers are something to be hoarded and hidden. love the ideas you've given for these precious bits and pieces. For me, it's all about the stuffing (the substance and the face!). Happy Thanksgiving for all who celebrate!!

Elizabeth Alsobrooks said...

Well, we gobbled a bit, had leftovers for 3 days before I cried Uncle and we tossed the rest...